Mac vs Windows: Detailed Experiment

Reaction score
So, I'm a long time Windows user who has never owned a Mac. I've set out to find out what the Mac is all about and if the saying of "It just works." really holds true. Start at the beginning and follow my journey into the world of Apple.

http://macmyth.blogspot.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Can't speak for anyone else, but this whole Mac vs Windows thing makes me sick. And your title "MacMyth" guarantees I'll never read your blog, regardless of what's in it.

Reaction score
I closed the link after no more than 30 seconds of browsing.

And then continued my search for finding a way to compile C files in OS X :lol:

M

MacHeadCase

Nah I don't think so, OP. You've joined our forum for one purpose only, as I think it's obvious already (without having to click that link of yours).

So go and troll somewhere else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
What is everyone so uppity about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6

What have these got in common?

- An objective look at General Motors vs Ford motor vehicles: Title - Ford Blows

- A scientific appraisal of Darwinian Theory: Title - The Godless Evolution Conspiracy

- My objective journey into the world fo the Mac: - The Mac Myth

You getting it now?

Actually, I did a blog myself over a year ago about why I would not go to Mac and how I'd build a Linux machine for my wife (a long time Mac user). Anyway, after a mere week, I realised she'd never get along with Linux and bought her a Mac... and a month later myself one!

http://goingpc.blogspot.com/

Amazingly enough the G3 Mac I refer to at the start of the blog miraculously fixed itself. :Angry-Tongue: It's weird reading it back now - I wish I'd carried on with the blog.

*edit - the blog actually looks ok - perhaps just a rather unfortunate choice of title.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Hmm, let's see. He registers here solely to post his "detailed experiment" about Mac vs Windows (a topic proven to be controversial many times), and titles it "Mac Myth." Exactly how unbaised is that likely to be?

I'm uppity because he's a troll, and, dare I say, a jerk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
The only thing I don't agree with is the marketing line: "It just works". But I think everyone here knows my stance on that by now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
had a quick look through wasnt great was okay most of it i knew allready.

nice imac tho

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The implication - to me anyway - is that the reasons we all like/prefer Macs are some kind of Myth, and this hero has set out to prove or disprove them, like Jason and the Argonauts or something.

It's a provocative title for a provocative subject, and the OP's lack of follow-up posts indicates we're probably right to brand him/her a troll, however thinly (and badly) disguised his/her trolling is.

I could be wrong, of course, but probably not. ;)

OP
A
Reaction score
Man, I figured my blog would be pretty straight forward. I guess not! Basically, I am a long time Windows user who has been wowed by the recent hardware coming out of Apple and the fact that some of the problems the Mac has had in the past keeping users from trying it no longer exist.

So....I'm giving things a try! My iMac should be here this week. The point/reason for the blog is that as a hard-core Windows user I haven't found any good resources talking about similiar people in my shoes looking at adopting Mac.

If you actually took a peak at the blog you would probably already know where I am about. I am not trying to bash Mac or bash Windows. I am just giving Apple a fair look and documenting my process for others who may be on the fence like me.

I guess everyone here off. Sorry! As someone who has never had a Mac, the advertising of "It just works" seems like it could be marketing speak, a myth. My goal is as a Windows user to find out if that is just marketing hype or not a myth at all. You guys are looking at it from the other side of the fence so I'm probably insulting you by calling it a "myth". But to Windows users with no experience, it sounds too good to be true!

M

MacHeadCase

You hang around a Mac forum for a few years like I do and you see warning signs that are common to trolls joining just to stir up the muck and have a chuckle or two at the expense of the membership.

Your post had a couple of cues in them that sent me in a defensive mode. Seeing trolls join to trash a forum isn't much fun and, even though I haven't been here all that long, I've seen quite a few trolls join and try to raise heck. Sorry if I misread your intentions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I guess I everyone here off. Sorry! As someone who has never had a Mac, the advertising of "It just works" seems like it could be marketing speak, a myth. My goal is as a Windows user to find out if that is just marketing hype or not a myth at all. You guys are looking at it from the other side of the fence so I'm probably insulting you by calling it a "myth". But to Windows users with no experience, it sounds too good to be true!

In titling the blog - Macmyth - you seemed to have made up your mind already. As you say, you haven't even received your machine yet.

I suggest you change the name to something more neutral, because myth isn't an unknown, it literally means:

- any invented story, idea, or concept: His account of the event is pure myth.
- an unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
It is just a myth. I think the only think I own that "Just works" is my my coffe cup. It does what it was meant to do flawlessly and has never given me any operating errors.

I wouldn't even call it a myth really. It's just marketing jargon. I just find it annoying when people go spouting off to people looking to switch that they should do so because "it just works", when in all actuality, every computer out there has it's fair share of problems. I can guarantee that Mac's probably have less because basic operation is much simpler, but when ever a user starts adding stuff or hardware breaks or just doesn't work as it's intended, they'll definitely be angry at Apple, because their machine is supposed to "just work".

I mean, take a look in any Apple related troubleshooting forum. If their computers did what their marketing tells you they do, there would be no need of Apple Care or warranties.

Ever see Tommy Boy, where he's giving the, I could stick my head up the butcher's to see the steak but I'd rather take the bull's word for it, speech?

If you're any kind of user that knows "in depth" (which shouldn't even take that much knowledge, just more than your basis PC user) knowledge about Windows and computer hardware and software, you'll know that there's bound to be trouble with whatever platform you use. If you're any kind of person that doesn't let every advertising campaign tell you where to spend your money, then you'll know that not all marketing is completely and utterly true.

So I'd abandon the "does it just work or is it a myth" look at the topic and just use your iMac when you get it. A lot of the programs you described work much better (can't believe I'm typing this one, huh?) than the PC counter parts. There's even SQL databases that can replace Access. They're not integrated like Access is to the rest of office or even Windows, but they're there. And you can always run parallels to use an MS program rather than to boot into Windows with bootcamp.

Reaction score
In your blog you said the equivalent to Microsoft office was office for mac, but actually there is a little something called iWork 08'! you can get a 1 month trial at apple.com. So you don't have to boot into windows for it. Also for chatting there is iChat that comes with your imac. I can see you defiantly need to do some more research about apple and the programs for it before you publish stuff like that in your blog again.

Reaction score
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Village Idiot again.
Virtual rep for a great post!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (black) 2.0 ghz CTD/2gb RAM. iPod Nano Gen 1 (4 GB)
I can tell you what to write in your final post before closing that blog down.

Write that you are thoroughly happy with your choice to switch, and that you have a pair of Dells for free for any sucker who is willing to give them the TLC they need to actually run. Write that you can't imagine ever using a windows computer again and that you will wash your hands and use some of that Purell alcohol stuff after that, should you ever have to touch one.

Well maybe tone that down a bit, but that's my general impression after 4 months. I only lasted for about 2 weeks on Bootcamp before Microsoft was banned from my digital life.

I'm much happier without them.

SLC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I can tell you its not a myth for me. Everything just seems to work so well. Been using an IBook for 2 years now and iMac for a year and half. I've had no problems as such other than a HDD crashing...

OP
A
Reaction score
Also for chatting there is iChat that comes with your imac. I can see you defiantly need to do some more research about apple and the programs for it before you publish stuff like that in your blog again.

I am aware of iChat. My blog is just a post about what software *I* am planning on using. It is definately not a conclusive list of all the available software for the Mac that I could use.

Specifically about chatting, I use Trillian on the PC to chat with AIM/ICQ/Yahoo/MSN users all in one application. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe iChat does that. I have done *some* research! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.