Processor Upgrade Question

S

Shakermaker

I have a G4 533, and am looking at buying a 1GHZ AGP card to upgrade the processor speed a wee bit.

My question is how does it work?
If I buy a OWC Mercury Extreme G4/1.0-1.2GHz Processor Upgrade card, does it give my processor a 700 MHZ boost?
Does it use both processors (533 and 1.2GHZ) giving me like a dual 1.7GHZ?
Does it "replace" the processor?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
It replaces the card doesn't just add to the speed

OP
S

Shakermaker

What do you mean "It replaces the card". Do I have to remove my processor from the motherboard for the AGP processor upgrade card to work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
Shakermaker said:
What do you mean "It replaces the card". Do I have to remove my processor from the motherboard for the AGP processor upgrade card to work?

Yes you have to remove yor old one and replace it with the new one. Its simple to do. If you can plug in the power cord you can do the upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Though I would suggest that you plug OUT the power cord before doing the upgrade... ;-)

OP
C

Chamorro

Shakermaker said:

Your processor is not soldered onto the motherboard, it sits on a "daughter" card. You simply swap the old card out with the new one. Just make sure your firmware is up-to-date per the upgrade's instructions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.