Where have my photos gone??!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
i-Photo asked me if I wanted to update - I had been advided by a fellow Mac user that is was always a good idea to update so I did and as a result every photo taken in the past month has vanished.

Have my photos gone for good?

This is very upsetting, I have tried the trash and don't know where else to look - it has put me off updating anything again.

Please assist if you can,

C

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
I don't know if this could have had anything to do with it but my laptop did fall from my desk as I was fumbling about in the dark at around the same time.

It only fell a couple of feet and seems to be ok.

Reaction score
Why don't you look on disk where they were last time you looked for them on disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
Your photos have been transmorgafied into the evil vortex that is iPhoto, do a search for them on google, they may show up.

On a more serious note, learn to import photos off your camera and into a folder structure that makes sense to you and your way of shooting. Otherwise when things go wrong, like they have, you will be left with a massive clean up task, and have no idea what images are stored where.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
You can try rebuilding your iPhoto liubrary. Instructions at Apple's support site

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
If you are using iPhoto 08, then iPhoto's library becomes one big file and the photos are not accessible using finder. But I'm guessing they are now showing in iPhoto application as well...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
They are accessible in finder once your right click on the iphoto icon within the photo's folder. You then just left click on the "Show package contents" option. That's who I adjust my pictures with photoshop. Before you could easily just use finder as the photo folder was like any other folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh. Nice. I just drag and drop from iPhoto into Photoshop...

Reaction score
That is odd, my family iMac has been updated many times, including iPhoto. I've never lost photos from iPhoto, or songs from iTunes.

Go to your iPhoto Library in your Pictures folder:
Macintosh HD – Users – Pictures – iPhoto Library.

Click on the folders and search through. It could be a link problem. The photos might be in there, but havn't linked to view in iPhoto.

Kimberley Creative – Freelance Graphic Designer
www.kimberleycreative.com

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
There's about 20 missing, all recent - I have looked everywher, they should of course be at the bottom of the library thumbnails. I can't do a Google search because I didn't name them - I have about 3,000 photos altogether, maybe 4.

Maybe I should update i-photo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHz 2GB RAM 500GB internal HDD + 1 TB Formac XTR External HDD - iPhone 3G 16 GB Black
They are accessible in finder once your right click on the iphoto icon within the photo's folder. You then just left click on the "Show package contents" option. That's who I adjust my pictures with photoshop. Before you could easily just use finder as the photo folder was like any other folder.

Oh Thanks for this tip, I'm a noob and one of the problems I had was finding individual photos to use as a file (e.g upload to net when you have to browse to find the file etc).
BTW I still don't get the reason why all the photos are being held in iPhoto application, that makes it a huge file (my photo library size is in gigs). I love to use iPhoto but at the same time want to have my pics on my external HD.
is there anyway to make iPhoto just index the files so that my internal HD space is not wasted?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stay out of the finder! You will corrupt your photos! Apple changed the file structure on purpose to keep users from using the finder and corrupting/losing their photos! Do everything from within the app itself. If you want to upload to, say Facebook, use the export function to export your photo to the desktop and upload from there. You can set your iPhoto preferences to use Photoshop or other as the external editor, and then when you click on "edit" in iPhoto, Photoshop will open, you can edit and it will save the photo back where it was.

Just stay out of finder!!!!!

Reaction score
again that screwy iphoto...

does a good job in showing photos. somebody did a bad job in designing the application itself.

people wih RAW capabilities love to "touch the photos" with their hands, so Finder(hear me well) is their thing. why in the world to use a photo for uploading on a website, dropping into Photoshop or just simply deleteing them will require a user to ask permission from iPhoto to do that ??

people looove variety and freedom of their activity.
absolutely bad design, as well as finder itself some times.

they bring people from windowses and linuxes to macs, but forget to deal with them - in the end they will go back from where they came(come on, 64bit will be everywhere soon, BSDs run on that for some time now).

apple will need to stop hiding bugs in their development path by obscuring with silly excuses like - "to use a photo you have to export it first" (what ???).

I personally like the idea of a system that has in the package standard apps that are designed for what they do. That was the only reason to buy a macbook. Now I see unfinished applications hidden under aqua skin.

I want to use this, but something tells me they don't want this so much - marketing campains are important only ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhoto is intended for those who don't know much about computers but want to use them nonetheless. It gives those non-tech savvy a chance to use computers the way they were meant to be. The library has been closed because people used to fiddle around in there and corrupt the entire library.

If you want to edit RAW and other such high end stuff, then go ahead and use Aperture or Adobe's Lightroom. There's more than enough in there to satisfy your raw urges.

I use iPhoto for all my family photos and such, and Lightroom for all my professional photos. And what's the problem in launching iPhoto and dragging the pics across to the photoshop icon in the dock?

If you still have some issues, get yourself a media browser which will give you easy access to all your pictures/iTunes music/movies...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nicu -- you said "I personally like the idea of a system that has in the package standard apps that are designed for what they do. That was the only reason to buy a macbook. Now I see unfinished applications hidden under aqua skin." But what you are missing is that iPhoto does its job extremely well -- it is a photo organization and management app, and it is quite good at what it does! Trying to go into the finder and manipulate photos there is the Windows way -- the mac way is so much easier.

If you want to use photoshop to edit your photos, set it as the external editor from within your iPhoto preferences. It will allow you to click on "edit", photoshop will open, you can edit and when you save, the photo will go right back where it was. How easy is that?!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.