film to make your matte screen glossy.... false?

Reaction score
i heard that there was a film/removable screen cover to make your matte screen glossy... true? false? how different is the quality?

TWM

Reaction score
i say false... even if their was, the risk of breaking your screen would be very high.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I doubt it would be any good even if it existed - you can't "undo" what the matte screen does to the picture, so you just end up with a shiny version of the matte screen ouput - i.e. you wouldn't get the advantages of having a glossy screen.

Reaction score
Matt screen to glossy screen

Yes, Virginia, there IS such a film. It's easily and cheaply available on eBay, and sticks to the matte screen by static electricity, so can be removed easily. (It leaves no residue whatsoever.)

I have used it on my Toshiba (Horrors!) L300 matte screen, and it actually DID give the screen all the zip and contrast of a glossy screen. I loved it! :)

but:

Your screen needs to be LITERALLY SPOTLESS when you apply it, as the smallest speck of dust will cause a visible "bubble" to appear, and you need to "squeegee out" air bubbles as you apply it for the same reason. Not only that, a tiny speck of dust will cause its little bubble to expand around it as it gradually pushes the gloss film away from the screen over a few days.

While I loved the effect, after two attempts, with a new film each time, and scrupulously cleaning the screen each time, the imperfections caused by missed air bubbles and dust specks annoyed me more than the matte screen did, so I took it off (again) and left it off.

But if you have access to a scientific "clean room" and antistatic cleaning fluid and gloves, I recommend trying it... It DOES work!

Mike

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I find it interesting that someone with a matte screen was a glossy screen, when people with glossy screens want a matte screen. >_>"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.