So noisy!

Reaction score
Usually my macbook is pretty quiet but at times, it can get quite loud.
Right now I am running Adium, Microsoft Word, and iTunes so I thought maybe I was running too many applications.
I quit iTunes but the noise level seems to be the same.
Does it get noisy when too many things are running?
Is there any way to prevent this or at least lower the noise a bit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
What kind of noise are you talking about, fan noise, cd rom noise, hd noise?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
What kind of noise are you talking about, fan noise, cd rom noise, hd noise?

It sounds like either iTunes voloume is too loud :D or the fans are racing because of the load you ar putting onto it. My daughter ahs an Asus that was about 12 months old and I could hear it 2 rooms away. When I investigated I found that the graphics card fans had sucked in heaps of rubbish and were working really hard to try and cool the now very hot laptop....it was hot to touch!

Get something like iStat nano which adds to dasboard and this will monitor temps and fan speeds, and give us a bit more info.;D

OP
A
Reaction score
Oh sorry, I meant the fan noise =/
It's just so annoying when I'm in class taking notes and my mac starts going craaazy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2GHz 80GB
Get something like iStat nano which adds to dasboard and this will monitor temps and fan speeds, and give us a bit more info.;D

What's an average cpu temp for a macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
average CPU temp is generally between 30 and 55 C depending on what you're doing. If your fan comes on, it's generally because you're pushing it quite hard and it has turned on the fans preemptively. The apps you've listed aren't very CPU intensive unless you're ripping CDs with iTunes or something, so check Activity Monitor to see what is hogging the CPU and making it run hot,

Reaction score
Hmm, mine is at 57 C when im on the web.
Should i be alarmed? It also goes crazy, but only in Windows and when i play games.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.