Spilt coffee in the keyboard (some keys don't work)

Reaction score
I messed up, and poured an entire cup of coffee in my keyboard :(

So I took the whole thing apart (every single little screw), q-tip cleaned it, let it dry, and put the pieces back together again, and only a few keys didn't work. So I got another KB from a friend (different model which worked perfectly fine before touching my mac) and a few (different) keys did not work on it, and eventually some keys began to work while the (much needed) spacebar decided to quite (which was about a week after getting the 'new' KB).

I initially thought I fried my usb port/hub, but all my other usb devices are working properly. I then thought it was a driver issue, but could not find the correct drivers/extensions to re-install. My power mac g4 is about 3 years old, and my apple care has expired :(

So what should I do now? Take it in and have a genius look at it, buy a new KB, or mystery solution c?

My specs are:
Original KB model: M7803
Friends KB model: A1048
Machine Model: Power Mac G4
System Version: Mac OS X 10.3.9 (7W98)

Thank you very much!
Tyler

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Taking it to an Apple Store will do you no good, since spills are not covered under warranty.
Attempting to "fix it" yourself can and likely will lead to more damage than good.

Just suck it up to an unfortunate accident, and then buy a new keyboard.:)

OP
T
Reaction score
I already tried that, and the new kb became messed up as well. I dont want to to buy another kb and have that one get messed up as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I already tried that, and the new kb became messed up as well. I dont want to to buy another kb and have that one get messed up as well.
No, you got a used keyboard from a friend that most likely failed from a completely unrelated (though coincidentally similar) fault.

If you got a new Apple keyboard, that would come with a warranty and if it failed, it should be covered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
This will be your excuse to get one of those slim keyboards that've come with the new iMac :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured my friends kb was fried, but I used it less than a week ago on his powerbook and it worked flawlessly. I guess I'll give one of those slim boards a try, they do look fresh. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Just suck it up to an unfortunate accident, and then buy a new keyboard. :D

This is the right answer! Keyboards are not that expensive - it is the best thing to do in this case IMHO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.