Some pages won't load ! switcher problem

Reaction score
Hi, I just got my macbook last week and so far eveything has been great except for the fact that some pages such as hotmail,ebay and even apple wont load properly.

I'm connecting to the internet via a wireless connection and at first i thought this maybe the problem, but I've jsut connected via ethernet and I still have the same problems.

Can anyone help?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hi, I just got my macbook last week and so far eveything has been great except for the fact that some pages such as hotmail,ebay and even apple wont load properly.

I'm connecting to the internet via a wireless connection and at first i thought this maybe the problem, but I've jsut connected via ethernet and I still have the same problems.

Can anyone help?

What ISP and type of internet you using? What WiFi Router?

Do you have a PC there? Does it do the same thing?

OP
W
Reaction score
Hi, Im using talktalk and my connection is up to 8mb. The router is attached to the home pc and all webpages work fine on there, sorry if i havnt answered your questions right.

OP
W
Reaction score
ooh also the router is a Huawei echolife hg520s it came free when I signed up with the isp

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you using Safari for the browser on the Mac? Also have you installed all the updates? What version is your OSX at? Current is 10.4.10. Hope I am not asking too many questions. Only time I have seen your issue is on new Macs before the very last Airport update using WiFi.

OP
W
Reaction score
dont worry about asking loads of questions im just happy that your helping.

I've tried safari, opera, camino and firefox they all have the same problem. I just got my mac recently so it's tiger and I think i installed all the updates should i doublecheck?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If pages were just slow loading it would not be as much as an issue but major sites like that just sitting there. Sounds like it might be a DNS issue. In some cases on peoples systems I have gotten the DNS numbers from the ISP and put them straight in OSX Networking under DNS. That might be the first thing to check, DNS. I have to take off but will check back later.

OP
W
Reaction score
I've got all the recent updates, where do i get this dns information from? I phoned up my isp and they said they wouldnt provide support for wireless routers and they put me through to a company they work in conjunction with that wanted £25 for any help provided.

What kind of service is that!!?

OP
W
Reaction score
ok so i connected to a different wireless network and everything is working fine. I really don't know what to do anymore

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I'm tempted to blame the ISP - was the working wireless network from the same ISP or a different one?

I've not heard anything good about TalkTalk, frankly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini G4 1.25ghz 1gb Ram
It sounds like you are having a similar problem to I had when I first used a Mac with a certain router - I think you need to try adjusting Maximum packet size (mtu) in your network prefs.

Under the Ethernet tab in your network prefs panel change the 'configue' drop down to 'manually (advanced)'. Then select the 'custom' check box at the bottom of the panel and start with a low rate and work your way up til you find the highest you can go without your internet falling over! I have a different set up now, but I think I recall my ideal rate was around 1470-ish.

I'm not sure about the ins-and-outs of why this works (if it does!), I think if I remember rightly, it's something to do with some routers can't transfer data fast enough for it to keep up with the browser.... or something!

I found it tended to be big database driven sites that tended not to work, like Amazon etc. Good luck - let me know how you get on!

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks so much indykid :D Everything is working fine now!!

I put the MTU to 1400 but then got told to reduce the TCP MSS whatever that
is ???? Anyway I put that to 1300 and everythings great. Forums are the greatest for advice my isp was absolutely useless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini G4 1.25ghz 1gb Ram
No probs - glad to be of assistance! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.