closing the lid = no sleep on macbook pro

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just got a new MacBook Pro the other day and it's the first time I've really ever used a Mac. So far I love it, but I have one problem. I do a lot of web design, so I purchased the 30" Cinema HD monitor to go with it for when I'm at home. I want to be able to hook up a USB keyboard and mouse to it and use the laptop like a desktop with the monitor shut. I can't seem to find any info on how to make my Mac not go to sleep when I shut the monitor off. Right now I just turn the contrast all the way off but I don't really like that option. On Windows you can set it up in the control panel that when you shut the monitor nothing happens so I'm really hoping it's possible with macs. Also I found some information on here about InsomniaX but unfortunately it doesn't work with my verson of Max OS X. Anyone have any information for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The simplest thing is just to click the mouse after you've hooked it up to the external display and keyboard. It'll wake right up again.

There are ways to keep it from sleeping when you close the lid, but they are, in my opinion, more trouble than they're worth.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Is it a problem to keep the laptop running with the monitor shut? I've read a few posts that it might be a problem but no one has said for sure and I don't really wanna find out for myself with my $4,000 investment...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Why not just span the display and use both screens?
Two screens is a definite plus for any designer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I'm pretty certain that there's an option for using the macbook pro with the lid closed, that is, without using 3rd party apps. Though I've never used a macbook pro for more than 5 minutes at a stretch :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
ok first, all you do is have the external monitor hoooked up, and the keyboard and mouse and just close the lid then click the mouse. and it will wake up.

also i would not suggest running it with the lid closed, even if your not gonna use the macbook pro screen, which i would just use and have 2 screens. but mainly becuase the computer escapes alot of heat via the keyboard area and what not so the comp runs a crap ton hotter with the lid closed, especially during things such as photoshop.

Reaction score
I do exactly what you are talking about everyday when I go into work. I plug the MBP into a docking station that plugs in the cinema monitor, usb keyboard etc etc. I put the MBP in the dock, turn it on and after its finished loading close the lid, hit a key on the keyboard and it wakes right back up. If I tote the laptop to a meeting and leave it sleepin then plug it back in the exact same thing, hit a key and it wakes up. No ill effects or problems as of yet and my temps stay fine (I check through istat). It actually seems to run cooler closed, I don't know if thats due to the large metal base of the docking station though. But I also do not use it for photoshop and such, just pagemaker, and basic business apps. I believe the key is having ac power and having it set to wake on bt if you have a wireless keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Running intensive programs with the lid closed is not wise. Look to the left and right of your keyboard... See those areas with all the holes? That's where the fans intake and exhaust air. So running with the lid closed is not going to allow any air movement through the electronics hidden beneath the keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i agree with the majority of these posts. if you are using photoshop, or any intensive programs, using it with the lid shut is probably not the best idea. it can cause serious problems with your monitor (due too heat). i can't verify the intake and exhaust, as i don't have a pro. but i wouldn't doubt that's where they are. so it could also overheat.

just a sidenote, if you are using it for webdesign, using two monitors can benifit you greatly with the code on one monitor, and the actual website on another.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.