scorching charger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2GHz 80GB
hi, new to the forum, new to macs.

just bought the 13inch macbook the other day. And i have noticed that when charging the charged gets incredibly hot. not just uncomfortably hot, but scorching hot, painfully so after holding it for a while.

my pc charger got hot, but not this hot. Is this kind of heat coming from a charger normal?

Thanks,

Tipsy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook white 13' Core 2 duo 2.0 Ghz, 1.5 G Ram, 160 GB Hard Drive
Hi there, Just to let you know it does get really hot. I can't even leave my charger on the couch because i'm afraid it will burn the fabric. I can't even touch the charger when i'm using the laptop and charging it at the same time.
I've had my 13' macbook for over 6 months now and it has always been the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16gHz 1GB ram white, 60GB iPod Photo
I've had brick chargers for the iBook, Powerbook and now a Macbook and the macbook one is by far the hottest. Just make sure that you aren't placing it on a pile of papers or something that can get damaged or possibly catch on fire from the extensive heat.

PS....welcome to the "other side" of computing. Enjoy your mac! :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The power brick on my AMD 64 Compaq lappy gets what I consider VERY HOT especially when charging, but even with the battery charged and just running the machine, it's awfully hot. I know it's not a Macbook, but some of them do get very hot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
hi, new to the forum, new to macs.

just bought the 13inch macbook the other day. And i have noticed that when charging the charged gets incredibly hot. not just uncomfortably hot, but scorching hot, painfully so after holding it for a while.

my pc charger got hot, but not this hot. Is this kind of heat coming from a charger normal?

Thanks,

Tipsy

That is not normal. I got my MacBook last December and it has always just been warm. I would suggest taking it back to Apple if it is still under warranty. I suspect it needs replacing. Cheers.

Reaction score
I posted similar thread awhile ago. When I've found it extremely hot (barely touchable, definitely not holdable) I unplugged it and let it cool down. I've only found it this hot twice in the past 4 months.

I am very cautious because my previous laptop charger did this, except it was literally smoking before I unplugged it. Obviously there was something wrong w/ it. I'm sure the Macbook charger (at least for now) is not defective, but I'm very cautious. I don't want my house catching on fire!

Reaction score
I had this same problem with the charge for my macbook. Today I took my computer/charger into the store, and they replace my charger with a new one, no questions asked. Although I do have the AppleCare Protection they didn't even ask for any information, including my name.

My guess is it's a consistent problem. But again, my charger was replaced for free, no questions asked, and the new one seems to be working great without getting nearly as hot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Mine gets really hot sometimes. I even took it to Apple. They said not to worry and as of yet nothing bad has happened, I just don't put it on the sofa or my bed or anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
sometimes it jus get abit hotter... i'll jus monitor and if it get worst... jus send it for a replacement..

Reaction score
A battery charger should never be too hot to touch. If it is, then something is definitely wrong. If any Apple representative tells you it's okay for a charger to be scorching hot, then they are being totally irresponsible. Their claim that they "Never heard about anything bad happening," is a joke. Continuing to use a charger that overheats is literally playing with fire.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.