• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Camcorder compatibility

Reaction score
Hi all. I currently have a Sony Mini-DVD camcorder and am tired of the difficulty in downloading it to my i-mac. I have a toddler and another child on the way so my wife and I are looking for a new camcorder that just simplifies downloading video to share with family many miles away. We are looking for a camera that has a format that is easy to do simple editing in i-movie and easy downloading.

I'm researching hard drive and mini-dv camcorders. Are either of these formats easy to use? can anyone recommend a specific brand or model that would suit these needs. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
There are a ton of mini-dv backers on these forums, but I personally like the HDD camcorders, and with the new iMovie 08, the AVCHD format appears to be pretty easy to import, edit, compress, etc.

You might take a look at the panasonic AVCHD camcorder on the apple website. Not sure how much of an issue price is, but if you don't like converting video, i'd stay away from the other HDD camcorders. It's not hard, but it does take a little practice. The mini-dv, as long as it has firewire, should just connect, and work with iMovie 06 and previous versions for playing in your videos.

Best,

Brian

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Brian. I'll check out the panasonic. I like the idea of the HDD but only if it is usable. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Kevin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Glad I could be of use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.