telling itunes music is on another disk

Reaction score
Hi all
Hope u can help im a newbie mac user so bear with me
my system is G4 quicksilver
os10.4.9

ok my problem is ive saved around 50 gigs of music on my slave drive (not the drive where itunes lives) i couldnt add the music to the drive where itunes lives as its too small how do i tell itunes to look in the drive where i have my music
many thanks in advance
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I think, if you go to the drive and folder where your music is, right click (ctrl+click) on the folder, then 'Make Alias', now move that Alias into the iTunes Music LIbrary area where music is normally on the main drive, it should find it, not sure about this. I haven't tried it myself.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Easy:

1) Open iTunes Prefs and turn off the "Copy Music to iTunes Music Folder" option under the Advanced Tab.

2) In iTunes: FILE > ADD TO LIBRARY > and point it to the files on the external drive and add the music.

That's it, nothing else required. My music is spread across 5 drives and it's no big deal, iTunes will keep track of where it is once you add it from that drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Thanks, man...I even learned something useful...

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Under Preferences>Advanced, change the location of your iTunes Music Folder to point to where you music is. Then you can keep "Keep Music Folder Organized" and "Copy Music to Music Folder" on.

This is how I have had it set up for over 2 years.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks now playback problem

Thanks guys
Managed to tell itunes where the itunes music folder is and added to library worked fine.
Now i have another problem itunes is only playing a little bit of each song :Angry: and then goes to next track weird hope someone can help i have checked the info on the tracks and none are set to play just the intros
cheers
Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.