Activate window and do action

Reaction score
Hi

I didn't really know how to put this question, hence the daft title.

Here goes, I have the new 24inch iMac, nice big screen, which means lots of different windows and therefore lots of swapping and switching between windows.

Once of the most annoying things is, for example being iTunes which is active, and having an inactive Safari window behind it, I then click a link in the Safari window and nothing happens, it just activates the window, so i have to click again to go to the link.

Can this be changed?

Thanks

Jake

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try hitting the F9 Key. Expose. All windows become smaller and visible and you click what you want.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thats a good idea.

But its not as neat as it would be if I could just activate and do an action on the screen in one click. Rather than clicking Expose, then the screen I want to use then the action I want to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i usually set up a hot corner for that. go to system preferences>desktop and screen saver>screensaver there is a button in the lower left corner that says hot corners. check it out

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, none that I am aware of - you will have to do 'something' to activate a different window before you can use it.

Most apps use a variety of shortcut keys. These shortcuts have different functions depending on what application is active. Just imagine if the shortcut keys worked on every open app rather than only the active one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
i usually just doubleclick in such a situation, or i use one hand to alttab (apple-tab now) and the other to click.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.