Got the New Imac..but a lil issue..

Reaction score
YO!

so finally i have my all new Imac 20" glossy display with me. just bought 2-3 days back n tell u what its super coooool:). Its really beautiful I must say, so much superior in terms of finish and quality. Apple have excelled, truly! alongwith the kit i also got a wireless mouse.

Now everythings running fine except for one major glitch which i must say HAS disappointed me and many Apple users. No prize for guessing,its the glossy display am talking about. I felt that i would be able to see the images with a much better color with the new display, true it does! but then, we dont want ourselves looking in the mirror every now and then all the time. I mean couldnt apple think about such a basic thing when they got the product out in the stores. Compared to this the earlier ones are much much better( the matte display) coz atleast they dont reflect whats in front of them, the user i mean. This thing is crap in dat terms.. Now my room doesnt have windoes, so no question of shadows.. ITs properly ventilated thru the air cooling, the light arrangement is perfect.. This reflection thing wasnt a problem with my samsung TFT LCD or even for that matter the CRT monitors!

Am thinking otherwise & feeling really bad over this investment. the more i use it the more i get irked on what a lil thing has spoiled the entire setup! what do u think people?? aint u facing a smiliar problem?? cmonn u must be.. Its like kicking ourselves. 1200$ aint cheap. I hv worked hard for it.

Lets all start writing to apple & suggesting this strong change. I simply cant comprehend why apple got this unnecessary change in.. Tiny issue, no doubt, but still a problem..

Users who have felt the same problem pl put it down after my comments. The only help for this is to get the screen changed n apple should offer matte n glossy options..

Urs truly,
Mehul.

TWM

Reaction score
You should return in and buy something else. I personally like the glossy screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Mehul? From the digit forum?

Anyway, I'm glad I've got the old iMac. I personally don't like glossy displays especially when working. It looks good as a product, but it messes with the colours and such. I hope the cinema displays don't go that way....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Couldn't agree more. Only for me it is not a tiny issue. It is a deal breaker.

Had to go to the Apple store a couple weeks ago. I had postponed my trip for a week because I was afraid it would cost me a bunch of $$ when I saw the new iMac's. Well, for me, needn't have worried about it. In the store you couldn't look at any of the screens, no matter the angle they were tilted without having to adjust your eyes to see past the reflection of everything on this side of the screen.

It sure makes for a very nice, polished looking machine. But practically, a real pita.

One thing nice for those that don't type particularly well. You could tilt the screen down. Now, while you're typing a paper, you won't have to look down at the keyboard, because you'll have a reflection of it right there on the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing nice for those that don't type particularly well. You could tilt the screen down. Now, while you're typing a paper, you won't have to look down at the keyboard, because you'll have a reflection of it right there on the screen.
Priceless!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(
Oh crap I don't wanna see my morning face every second I am behind my brand new iMac soon! :p

Wonder if it's really that bad as you guys say...

Reaction score
and thats why im buying a macbook pro.....

You can choose. glossy or matte. It would be a good idea for aple to include that option on the imac. I think they dont because the imac isnt directed towards professional buyers. The glossy is better for everyday stuff and it makes colours pop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
intel iMac 24"
Wow, I am so surprised! I bought my 24" about 3 months and was absolutely luuuurving it. To my distress I saw the new one 2 days ago. I felt gutted. To me the new display looks awesome - such vivid colours. Never thought Mac would release anything less than perfect. Will look at this more closely next time though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz iMAC w/ 4GB Ram - 17" 1.67ghz PBook G4 w/ 2GB Ram
im waiting for my iMAC to come in and im hoping that with the window behind the mac, it should work out fine. Ive used the imacs in the apple stores and it didnt seem to bother me. lets hope that I feel the same way when the imac is in my room.

btw: Id hate to do this, but is there maybe a clear matte film that can be placed above the glossy screen so it can tone the glare down. Ive seen them for LCD's but i wonder if theyll work for glass screens. Ill try and look into it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM
Anyone know where i could get a white 20" imac, new?? I dont know if i can adjust to this new thing :-/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Note that the new iMac has a CPU speed bump/ santa rosa/ better graphics/bigger HDD...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz iMac Core 2 Duo with 2.5 gigs of RAM
The glossy screen is the only thing that stopped me from buying it. For Apple not to offer choice on something this sensitive is ridiculous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM
Note that the new iMac has a CPU speed bump/ santa rosa/ better graphics/bigger HDD...

Yeah i know, the new iMac is absolutely great in the technology aspect (im sorry if i totally spelled that worng :D ) but lacks in good design/practicality (a la the glossy screen ;) ).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16GHz 20"+Macbook 2GHz (unibody)+MacMini 2 GHz+iPod Touch 16Gb+more
As the owner of a 20" iMac with a matte display, and a 13" Macbook with a glossy display, I can see the advantages and the disadvantages of both types.
I think that my photos look better on the glossy display (a glossy photo always looks sharper that a matte photo). This may partly be because of the smaller display (a small pic looks sharper than the same pic enlarged). However I agree that it can be a pain to avoid reflections. Luckily I have the choice of both, but if I had to choose one or another, then I would have to go for the matte display.

Reaction score
Coolmel did you try it in the store or did you buy online?

kba

Reaction score
Hello.
Just wanted to add some opinions.
I have been working in the design/print industry for about 3 years and since 6 months ago I am working at a fashion magazine (on a white Imac). I have never seen such a perfect screen a s the old imac has. These are the closest to reality as they can be. I have seen 1000$ monitors but the quality isn't as good as the price difference. Just to keep out some comments like "i like the new imac screen, the photos look more vivid", please note that the new imac is made for more amateur use (photos, movies) and the old one for print quality.If you were to correct a photo on both monitors, and then print it and put it next to the monitor, the one from the mate one will look better. plus, you correct it much faster wihout having to avoind light coming from each way. In my office I have a window at my left, one behind me, and one on the right (about 35degree angle). All the other people in the o ffice (using win PCs) make like an aerobic instructor to avoid light. I have no problem!
And as for the price change... I think that the new ones are cheper only due to the monitor. Otherwise I don't see how come the price is less and the performance better. They couln't have found a cheaper work hand then in China. So.. think about it. Same assembling place, better components, cheaper overall price... but cheap series monitor too.
BTW. look at a separate cinema display and then at any other samsung or other same size monitor... Apple monitors are one of the best. OR they used to be.

I was going to buy an imac by the end of this year, when i was going to raise the money. What to do now? can't afford a macbook
I just have to borrow and get what's still left in the stock. I found the old imacs still in my country. For how long.. i don't know.

kba

Reaction score
i also sent my oppinion to apple.. perhaps the future Imac will be more professional. And offer users at least the abilit to change monitors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24inch iMac
booboy--no offense but who cares whether a photo looks better on a glossy monitor? Who buys a computer to look at photos? We're talking about thousands of dollars here.
Hopefully Apple is reading this forum and noticing how total brand loyalists have resorted to trashing a stupid glossy display screen. Users don't usually insult their own brands.
Seriously, what was Apple thinking? For God's sake, if it ain't broken....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.