Is there a way to exclude songs from shuffle on an iPod?

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

I googled to no avail and this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. There are quite a few songs and albums I want to have on my iPod but I do not want them to be part of the random shuffle. Is there a way to exclude them from the shuffle?

I know there's an option for "skip when shuffling" but I believe that only applies to iTunes itself and it won't transfer to the iPod. Am I wrong?

Thanks for any suggestions! This is a 5G, 60 GB iPod video in question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Have you tried the skip when shuffling option? I don't have an iPod right now, but in my experience, almost all the settings in iTunes have transferred to the iPod. Soundcheck, volume control, start points...no reason why skip shouldn't transfer...

OP
D
Reaction score
Have you tried the skip when shuffling option? I don't have an iPod right now, but in my experience, almost all the settings in iTunes have transferred to the iPod. Soundcheck, volume control, start points...no reason why skip shouldn't transfer...

I have, but to be honest it's hard to tell. The other problem is I have to choose each song individually to be excluded from the shuffle. If I could choose a bunch at once it would be notably easier but unfortunately I can't.

Reaction score
Why don't you just create a playlist on the songs you want to be shuffled? You can also create a smart playlist to exclude certain albums/playlist/etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.