Editing PDF Docs....not just text...but hand written notes after scanning in...

Reaction score
I have scanned and created a 150 page document. I am not to concerned with using OCR for searchable pdf's. What I am having an issue with is this.

There are several hand written notations in the scanned document that I want to get rid of.

Does anyone have any idea how I could do that?

Thanks
DTT

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have scanned and created a 150 page document. I am not to concerned with using OCR for searchable pdf's. What I am having an issue with is this.

There are several hand written notations in the scanned document that I want to get rid of.

Does anyone have any idea how I could do that?

Thanks
DTT

I believe you would need the full version of Acrobat to make edits to existing PDFs, either that or a conversion utility to convert them into a writable format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If the notations are hand-written, then no PDF editor that I know of will remove them.
They would essentially become an image after scanning which would mean that you would need an image editor to remove them, not a PDF editor.

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
If the notations are hand-written, then no PDF editor that I know of will remove them.
They would essentially become an image after scanning which would mean that you would need an image editor to remove them, not a PDF editor.

This is the exact situation. The only confusion I have is that the file is now a pdf file, not an image, so how would I edit them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
This is the exact situation. The only confusion I have is that the file is now a pdf file, not an image, so how would I edit them?
Photoshop can open and edit PDFs in this manner. You can also save the corrected file as a PDF from Photoshop.
I'm not sure if GIMP would do this, but it would be worth a try if you don't have PS.

M

MacHeadCase

Yep Photoshop opens pdfs just fine, that's the way we make electronic colorkeys to verify trapping at school.

You simply use the Open (Command - or Apple - key + O) and you navigate to your pdf file. You will be presented with the dialog box below: in it you get to choose the colour space (or Color Mode) you want to use, the resolution you want to work with (choose wisely: if resaving the pdf after you've edited it is to be very good quality, pick a high rez, if it's only a document that is to be shown on computer screens, 72 ppi will suffice), etc.

As for saving it as pdf, see second screenie below. You first need to go into the Print dialog box (Command - or Apple - key + P) just like you were going to print the file once it is finished, just select Save as .pdf, rename the file and save it to your place of choice and, voilà, it's done.

This .pdf file thing is for a Mac OS X Tiger (10.4.x) environment: under Panther (10.3.x), saving as .pdf is a bit different and I just can't recall the exact steps here. Maybe someone using Panther can chime in here.

import_pdf.png

pdf_save.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.