How do I make files visible again?

Reaction score
I hid some personal folders using Quicksilver but I don't know how to make them visible again, because I can't locate the files again using Quicksilver (I suppose because they're hidden).

I use MainMenu, which has an option to "Show invisibles", or Spotlight to locate the files, but I just want to make the files visible again without using another application everytime I want to see them, because when I select "Show invisibles" it doesn't just show my hidden folders, it shows me a bunch of folders and files I'm not suppose to see by default (that's distracting and maybe potentially dangerous cuz I might erase a folder I'm not suppose to).

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I think what your wanting to do is make the file VISIBLE always... To do this simply turn on the "Show Invisibles".... locate your file or folder.... and rename it... withOUT the "." (period) at the beginning of the name. This will make the file or folder VISIBLE even when the "Show Invisible" is unchecked.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you RIDE for your response but no luck. That's exactly what I want to do: make the files visible ALWAYS (just as they were).

I selected "Show invisibles" using MainMenu but there isn't any "." (period) in my folders name. I tried to rename the file but no luck either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
What did you do in order to MAKE the file(s) invisible, without using the "." ???

OP
J
Reaction score
I've hidden 4 personal folders (containing other files of course) using Quicksilver.

1. Open Quicksilver
2. Locate the folder
3. Press tab and select the option "Make Invisible"

That's how I hid the folders. I can't locate the files again using Quicksilver to reverse the process because it doesn't find them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Ok... use the "Show invisibles" in MainMenu....

Locate the folder you want set to Always visible....

Drag the folder and drop it on the Quicksilver Icon (in the dock or in the applications folder)...

QS will invoke with the folder listed in the 1st pane...

Press Tab....

In the 2nd pane (action pane).. start typing: make... press the right arrow, and select "Make Visible (show)"....

Press Enter.

That should do it.

just fyi... if you know where the folders are located, you can easily access them via the terminal, or within a finder window press Shift+Cmd+G In the pop-up window type in the file path.... if you are already in the directory where the folders are locate, simply type the (exact... this IS case sensitive) name of the folder you are wanting access to... then press Enter or click Ok.

OP
J
Reaction score
It didn't occur to me to drag the invisible folder into the Quicksilver icon to locate it. LOL.

Now my folders are always visible again. Thanks a lot for your help RIDE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
no problem.. glad you got it sorted out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.