Canon EOS 400D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hey guys,

So I'm thinking of buying a DSLR sometime in the near future and have been dong a bit of homework and have found the EOS 400D to be a pretty nice piece of kit!

Reviews I have read have all been good but I was just wondering if anyone on here uses one of these, if so what your honest opinion is of it in terms of functionality, quality, value for money etc??

I have been interested in photography for a good while now and have decided to take the plunge and get something that will benefit me (& my job, as I now work for a media company that do a fair bit of photography work).

I currently have a 4.1MP Sony Cybershot camera that does the job to some extent. But after using the Canon DSLR's at work I have seen what I have been missing out on! lol

Cheers,

Chris :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
MrChris, I just purchased one for work. I have used only a couple of times so far but very nice. I looked at a few others and this kept coming to the top of my requirements list. Now I am trying to work out how to tell the wife that I want one for hom e as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
intel iMac 24"
Hey Chris
I bought it about 6 months ago I was looking for a good quality, reasonably priced SLR- absolutely loove it. Brilliant camera. No regrets. Only wish it has image stabilizer built in - get a bit of the shakes some times. I have found though that I need to supplement the SLR with a small good quality 'point & shoot' - can't carry the camera & lenses everywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
Appearantly Canon is going to replace the 18-55mm kit lens with an IS version soon. If you can told out for a month or 2 and see what Canon is doing, then you should.

For more info on Canon cameras and lens just go to www.dpreview.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
I have the 350D and love it. We have a 10MP point and shoot and my 8MP 350D makes the point and shoot like a toy. The one you are looking at is even nicer. You wont regret it, and all the cool stuff you'll be able to do with more control. Save your money because i'm sure you'll be wanting some lenses soon too. I got the itch. A pricy one but fun too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I used a 400d for a while before moving up to a 30d. If it's your first DSLR, you'll like it. It's a great camera. In all actuality, you won't notice a big difference in image quality until you get to the FF cameras or the other 1d series. It's controls are a little clunky after using my 30d as to change the aperture in manual mode, you have to hold down a button and scroll the shutter speed wheel, where as the 30d has a dedicated control for the aperture. It also has scroll buttons which make navigating it a little different. But as a first DSLR, it's probably something you'll never notice until you upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I bought one in may, and love it. I do not regret my purchase one bit, and if you know what you are doing, you can produce some stunning photos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (black) 2.0 ghz CTD/2gb RAM. iPod Nano Gen 1 (4 GB)
If you want IS built in then check out the Pentax K10D. It's the best camera in the sub $1000 group in my opinion. Weather and dust sealed, backwards compatible with all existing Pentax lenses (over 25 million) and can shoot in both PEF and DNG RAW formats. It can also shoot a RAW file and develop it to jpeg in camera. It is the only camera out there with a multi exposure mode. Pentax is not as popular as Canon or Nikon but it is up there. You really should have a look if you like the XTi, it's built so much better.

SLC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
The 400D is the best DSLR for any amateur photographer. I have one myself an couldn't be happier. It's been fantastic for everything I wanted to do from macro to night photography, models landscapes. Very, very versatile and well worth the price. Especially if you get the twin lens kit - not sure if they're still running that deal, but when I bought mine a few months back you would pay $100 more and get a 75 - 300mm telephoto lens when you buy the camera. Plus the $100 cashback on the camera itself so really, the lens was free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
If you want IS built in then check out the Pentax K10D. It's the best camera in the sub $1000 group in my opinion. Weather and dust sealed, backwards compatible with all existing Pentax lenses (over 25 million) and can shoot in both PEF and DNG RAW formats. It can also shoot a RAW file and develop it to jpeg in camera. It is the only camera out there with a multi exposure mode. Pentax is not as popular as Canon or Nikon but it is up there. You really should have a look if you like the XTi, it's built so much better.

SLC

In camera IS isn't as good as IS lenses. You can get up to 3 stops difference with an IS lens where in camera will only get you 1 stop.

Also, all DSLR's can shoot RAW formats and can process JPEGs depending on what settings you have chosen.

Multi-exposure. What's that? Pretty much all DSLR's can do bracketing, if it's anything similar

Canon lenses...enough said :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 400D is the best DSLR for any amateur photographer.

Blanket statements like that are misleading! No single camera is the best for any amateur photographer. Each one has it's own pros and cons, and each has it's own set of features that the others don't have.

The K10D has recieved many rewards since it's introduction. Most of those awards have been the camera of the year award from different organizations. American Photo magazine (the professional version of popphoto) voted the Pentax K10D as it's editors choice for 2007. Higher than the Nikon D80, 400D, D200,30D, 5D, EOS 1D in whichever flavor you like, and every single other camera out there. That tells me that this camera is something special.

The problem is that Pentax is just coming into their own in the DSLR world, whereas Canon and Nikon have been around for a few years. Too many people have the blinders on in that respect, and they are really missing out.

Don't make large generalized statements like the one you made. You're not helping anyone out. But rather you are potentially causing them to pass up something special because you are narrow minded.

SLC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In camera IS isn't as good as IS lenses. You can get up to 3 stops difference with an IS lens where in camera will only get you 1 stop.

Also, all DSLR's can shoot RAW formats and can process JPEGs depending on what settings you have chosen.

Multi-exposure. What's that? Pretty much all DSLR's can do bracketing, if it's anything similar

Canon lenses...enough said :Evil:

This one is even worse!

So I'd like to know how it is that you are certain that IS lenses are better than in camera image stabilization? Have you used both? Or did yu swallow all that bull that the Canon people shoveled onto your plate?

I have used IS lenses and they do work, the thing is they cost $$$. The in camera image stabilization in my K10D gives me 3-4 stops of latitude everytime. And I get it with every lens I attach, not just the ones I shelled out and extra hundred or so for. The thing is that by adding IS to a lens you are adding one more complex mechanical system that some articles (even the ones from the pro Canon websites) are saying is causing lenses to become unreliable. Why pay extra for a lens that will be more prone to failure?

People who say that IS is so much better than in camera shake reduction do so out of fear. Why else would Canon's adds tout that fact unless they felt threatened? You don't attack something that doesn't threaten you now do you.

Yes all DSLR cameras can shoot RAW files, but not all can turn those RAW files into jpegs without the use of a computer, I mean adding custom white balance,sharpening,and color saturation and contrast in camera, not in Photoshop. As far as I know (and I review photography equipment professionally) the K10D is the only one that offers this. All DSLR's have the ability to simultaneously record a RAW and jpeg file, the K10D is the only one with a RAW converter built in.

All DSLR's have a bracketing feature for exposure and white balance. The Pentax K10D has a multi exposure feature that allows you to take multiple images of a moving subject and then the camera stitches them into a single image that show the path of movement. You've seen those shots of a kid swinging from a rope, where the photo shows 5 or 6 exposures of the kid in his entire path of motion. The K10D does this in camera, no other DSLR can do that, they require you to do it manually in photoshop.

Canon lenses enough said? Is that supposed to impress me? The kit lens that comes with the 400D is one of the most dismal excuses for photo optics ever created. I can get a promaster lens from sears for $40 and it will be better than that lens. The L lenses are nice, but that's it and I don't want to shell out over $1000 on average for one of those.

Pentax has been making glass since the 30's. They've made camera glass since the 50's and suprisingly enough they made Canon and Nikon's lenses till the 70's. Their prime lenses are among the most highly revered lenses that have ever been created, and they all still work with the K10D. Carl Zeiss just released a batch of ultra high quality primes this month. Guess what, you can get them for minolta (sony), Nikon, and Pentax, not Canon.

The fact of the matter is that all the rhetoric out there that holds Canon above eveyone else is born out of lies. They are nice cameras (30D and up) but they are almost always equalled or beaten in terms of quality and value.

The closest thing to the K10D from Canon is the 30D. But even the 30D's command dial is cluttered up with pre-set dummy modes for people who don't know how to use their camera properly. The Nikon D200 is Nikons closest to the K10D and these are more closely comparable. The K10D has no "macro" mode, "Portrait" mode or any of those other dummy guess modes. Pentax expects that their users know what they are doing, perhaps that is why their products aren't selling as fast as the 400D's.

Just go out and hold a K10D and a 400D and you'll be able to tell the difference just in picking them up.

SLC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
This one is even worse!

So I'd like to know how it is that you are certain that IS lenses are better than in camera image stabilization? Have you used both? Or did yu swallow all that bull that the Canon people shoveled onto your plate?

I have used IS lenses and they do work, the thing is they cost $$$. The in camera image stabilization in my K10D gives me 3-4 stops of latitude everytime. And I get it with every lens I attach, not just the ones I shelled out and extra hundred or so for. The thing is that by adding IS to a lens you are adding one more complex mechanical system that some articles (even the ones from the pro Canon websites) are saying is causing lenses to become unreliable. Why pay extra for a lens that will be more prone to failure?

People who say that IS is so much better than in camera shake reduction do so out of fear. Why else would Canon's adds tout that fact unless they felt threatened? You don't attack something that doesn't threaten you now do you.

So you're saying you Pentax will perform just as well as a Canon when both have a fixed focal length 300mm lens with the Canon having in lens IS and the Pentax having in camera? In lens IS works better for longer focal length lenses. If you're using a 10-20mm wide angle lens, IS isn't going to do much at all for you.

And as far as I've heard or experienced, people using IS lenses from Canon haven't been having many problems. If IS goes wrong in a lens, you're left without that lens. If IS goes wrong in a camera, you're left without that camera.

Sounds like you're the one going on an offensive here.

Yes all DSLR cameras can shoot RAW files, but not all can turn those RAW files into jpegs without the use of a computer, I mean adding custom white balance,sharpening,and color saturation and contrast in camera, not in Photoshop. As far as I know (and I review photography equipment professionally) the K10D is the only one that offers this. All DSLR's have the ability to simultaneously record a RAW and jpeg file, the K10D is the only one with a RAW converter built in.

You're confusing me. All DSLR's have the ability to shoot just a RAW. I don't know of any that won't let you set a white balance for a JPEG. I'm talking about all the current DSLR's in each manufacture's lineup. You can set other things like sharpness as well.

All DSLR's have a bracketing feature for exposure and white balance. The Pentax K10D has a multi exposure feature that allows you to take multiple images of a moving subject and then the camera stitches them into a single image that show the path of movement. You've seen those shots of a kid swinging from a rope, where the photo shows 5 or 6 exposures of the kid in his entire path of motion. The K10D does this in camera, no other DSLR can do that, they require you to do it manually in photoshop.

Oh noess...that's really not a big one. Now if you told me it could do HDR in camera, I would have laughed.

Canon lenses enough said? Is that supposed to impress me? The kit lens that comes with the 400D is one of the most dismal excuses for photo optics ever created. I can get a promaster lens from sears for $40 and it will be better than that lens. The L lenses are nice, but that's it and I don't want to shell out over $1000 on average for one of those.

Pentax has been making glass since the 30's. They've made camera glass since the 50's and suprisingly enough they made Canon and Nikon's lenses till the 70's. Their prime lenses are among the most highly revered lenses that have ever been created, and they all still work with the K10D. Carl Zeiss just released a batch of ultra high quality primes this month. Guess what, you can get them for minolta (sony), Nikon, and Pentax, not Canon.

Kit lenses aren't made to be the greatest. You can get good shots with them, but you're getting a cheap lens so you can use your camera. If you want, you can buy a body and buy seperate lenses.

I'm getting into doing photography professionally and possibly for a living. Pretty much all my new lens purchases will be L's. They are superior quality glass. Cost is not an issue if you're looking to take the best photos. If you're worried about budget lenses, you're going to get budget results.

The fact of the matter is that all the rhetoric out there that holds Canon above eveyone else is born out of lies. They are nice cameras (30D and up) but they are almost always equalled or beaten in terms of quality and value.

OK...Who else makes a FF that has incredible high ISO performance at 3200 ISO for $2500? In fact, all Canon cameras are regarded as having great high ISO performance because of the DIGIC sensors. There's comparisons and proof every where. I guess those are all lies too...

The 1D series? They just announced the 1DIIIs. Full frame 22mp, and some outrageous FPS. Nikon, just announced their first FF camera. There's not much out there until you get to stuff like Lieca and Hassleblad but Lieca is mainly about prime lenses and Try and find a reasonably priced Hassleblad DSLR.

The closest thing to the K10D from Canon is the 30D. But even the 30D's command dial is cluttered up with pre-set dummy modes for people who don't know how to use their camera properly. The Nikon D200 is Nikons closest to the K10D and these are more closely comparable. The K10D has no "macro" mode, "Portrait" mode or any of those other dummy guess modes. Pentax expects that their users know what they are doing, perhaps that is why their products aren't selling as fast as the 400D's.

Just go out and hold a K10D and a 400D and you'll be able to tell the difference just in picking them up.

SLC

So Pentax doesn't cater to the entry level crowd and you're trying to reccomend a 10d as some one's first DSLR? That's called a contradiction right? I use a 30d and the dial works fine for me. On manual it controls the aperture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I am saying that the camera with in body image stabilization will perform as well, it does for me anyway! And yes you are right, if image stabilization goes wrong in a lens you are left without a lens. if it goes out in a body you are left without a body. If you are going into photography professionally you better plan on replacing tons of bodies, and hope to not have to replace your $2,500 L lenses very often. Bodies come and go but good glass lasts and lasts, why decrease the potential lifetime on it by stuffing circuitry and moving parts in there rather than integrate it into the body where it will be replaced periodically. I didn't come up with the idea that IS lenses are less reliable www.theimagingresource.com did.

Do you understand what ACR or Lightroom or aperture do to your RAW files? They apply the white balance and sharpening etc to the image. The 400D or any other camera save the Pentax K10D relies on you to use one of these programs to do so. But with the K10D you can capture a RAW image, then later that afternoon if you decide you want to process it, you can use your camera to do so. You don't HAVE to use your computer if you don't want to. I use this feature to free up space on my card when I'm in the field and can't dump it. With other cameras you can capture a RAW file, a jpeg, or a RAW and jpeg simultaneously. You can not however process a RAW into a jpeg in camera.

The pentax Kit lens is an all metal lens and is regarded on the other photography forums as being by far the best kit lens on the market, and worthy of even professional use. I'm net even sure that the Canon kit lens has even a metal lens mount.

Of course the vast majority of users will not buy the absolute top level high-end dSLRs... not now and not ever. They will stick to cheaper bodies and probably cheap glass as well. But a lot of them will still, for no good reason whatsoever, think that they are doing it better if that equipment says Canon or Nikon. You see this mentality when someone asks what brand to buy into and they are told "You'll look more professional using a Rebel", despite such comments being clearly ridiculous to us. People will say "Canon and Nikon have been in optics for decades", as if the Asahiflex never existed! It's ridiculous... but people will swallow such comments if there's no-one around to correct them (which there often isn't on C&N-dominated forums)... they are told that within a year they'l need to have an "upgrade path" or the ability to rent lenses, and often they'll accept it without thinking.

You can call me cynical, but honestly there are a lot of people of spectacularly weak will around. They see reviews, they see comments on forums, **** they watch CSI and notice what cameras they use... and so there's this mentality in place which is fairly hard to beat. It's not only on the internet either, I see it all the time in shops. Sometimes it's the sellers themselves, but more often it's the first-time buyers who come in with preconceptions

Canon is now not the only company with a dSLR that has a full-frame 35mm sensor. It's now a list of two, and that list is Canon and Nikon. Yes Canon and Nikon, of "Should I buy a Canon or a Nikon?" or "You'll be alright as long as you buy Canon or Nikon" fame. Internet posters and marketing have successfully made many many people think that there are only two companies making good dSLRs. Now they both have the full-frame sensor advantage... even if you don't accept that 35mm sensors have any practical advantage, they do have an advertising advantage. Advertising and perception is all-important, as Canon knows in putting Image Stabilisation in their cheapest, crappiest kit lens. IMO it's going to become even easier for Canon and Nikon's volunteer salesmen all round the world to push their myths and put people off buying anything else.

And by the way you should really check this out, I think it sums the 1Ds III pretty well
http://www.photographybay.com/2007/08/18/nikon-d3-press-release

Pentax caters to the entry level crowd, they have the K100D for that. It's more like the XTi

But if one really wants to learn photography, they'll benefit from not having those "fudge" settings

SLC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Yes I am saying that the camera with in body image stabilization will perform as well, it does for me anyway! And yes you are right, if image stabilization goes wrong in a lens you are left without a lens. if it goes out in a body you are left without a body. If you are going into photography professionally you better plan on replacing tons of bodies, and hope to not have to replace your $2,500 L lenses very often. Bodies come and go but good glass lasts and lasts, why decrease the potential lifetime on it by stuffing circuitry and moving parts in there rather than integrate it into the body where it will be replaced periodically. I didn't come up with the idea that IS lenses are less reliable www.theimagingresource.com did.

Do you understand what ACR or Lightroom or aperture do to your RAW files? They apply the white balance and sharpening etc to the image. The 400D or any other camera save the Pentax K10D relies on you to use one of these programs to do so. But with the K10D you can capture a RAW image, then later that afternoon if you decide you want to process it, you can use your camera to do so. You don't HAVE to use your computer if you don't want to. I use this feature to free up space on my card when I'm in the field and can't dump it. With other cameras you can capture a RAW file, a jpeg, or a RAW and jpeg simultaneously. You can not however process a RAW into a jpeg in camera.

The pentax Kit lens is an all metal lens and is regarded on the other photography forums as being by far the best kit lens on the market, and worthy of even professional use. I'm net even sure that the Canon kit lens has even a metal lens mount.

Of course the vast majority of users will not buy the absolute top level high-end dSLRs... not now and not ever. They will stick to cheaper bodies and probably cheap glass as well. But a lot of them will still, for no good reason whatsoever, think that they are doing it better if that equipment says Canon or Nikon. You see this mentality when someone asks what brand to buy into and they are told "You'll look more professional using a Rebel", despite such comments being clearly ridiculous to us. People will say "Canon and Nikon have been in optics for decades", as if the Asahiflex never existed! It's ridiculous... but people will swallow such comments if there's no-one around to correct them (which there often isn't on C&N-dominated forums)... they are told that within a year they'l need to have an "upgrade path" or the ability to rent lenses, and often they'll accept it without thinking.

You can call me cynical, but honestly there are a lot of people of spectacularly weak will around. They see reviews, they see comments on forums, **** they watch CSI and notice what cameras they use... and so there's this mentality in place which is fairly hard to beat. It's not only on the internet either, I see it all the time in shops. Sometimes it's the sellers themselves, but more often it's the first-time buyers who come in with preconceptions

Canon is now not the only company with a dSLR that has a full-frame 35mm sensor. It's now a list of two, and that list is Canon and Nikon. Yes Canon and Nikon, of "Should I buy a Canon or a Nikon?" or "You'll be alright as long as you buy Canon or Nikon" fame. Internet posters and marketing have successfully made many many people think that there are only two companies making good dSLRs. Now they both have the full-frame sensor advantage... even if you don't accept that 35mm sensors have any practical advantage, they do have an advertising advantage. Advertising and perception is all-important, as Canon knows in putting Image Stabilisation in their cheapest, crappiest kit lens. IMO it's going to become even easier for Canon and Nikon's volunteer salesmen all round the world to push their myths and put people off buying anything else.

And by the way you should really check this out, I think it sums the 1Ds III pretty well
http://www.photographybay.com/2007/08/18/nikon-d3-press-release

Pentax caters to the entry level crowd, they have the K100D for that. It's more like the XTi

But if one really wants to learn photography, they'll benefit from not having those "fudge" settings

SLC

Heh...now you sound like a lot of the Nikon guys. Especially with the FF comment. Of course there's an advantage. Lower Noise, more pixels on a large sensor. That equals better image quality.

And what are you talking about: "If you are going into photography professionally you better plan on replacing tons of bodies"

If you're going to really call yourself a photographer you should learn one lesson. It's the person behind the camera that makes the pictures. I have a 300d that I can go take some spectacular shots with. I even have an old Minolta Maxxum HTSI from highschool that I got like 9 years ago that I can take great shots with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Believe me, I know that better than anyone, why do you think I didn't buy into the "If you're gonna go pro you gotta have a Nikon or Canon" mentality!

And the replacement bodies comment means that over the years as a pro photographer you will burn through quite a few camera bodies. Even the Canon 1Ds III's only have a shutter that's rated at 200,000 cycles. But I'd hope that you can continue to use your glass for years, replacing worn out bodies is a given, but glass should last a lifetime, that hasn't been the case with Canon since they've changed their lens mount a few times, but Pentax has had the K-mount for years and there are over 25million lenses that have been produced for it, and guess what, with my K10D every single one of them is and IS lens.

And I have the feeling that you villageidiot, are the type that jumps ship everytime canon announces their newest gigapixel camera thinking that's what is going to get you your IQ. You must know that there are plenty of image editor plugins that make digital noise a moot point. That's why I chose my camera, it's lack of preset shooting modes encourages me to be as creative as possible.

SLC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Believe me, I know that better than anyone, why do you think I didn't buy into the "If you're gonna go pro you gotta have a Nikon or Canon" mentality!

And the replacement bodies comment means that over the years as a pro photographer you will burn through quite a few camera bodies. Even the Canon 1Ds III's only have a shutter that's rated at 200,000 cycles. But I'd hope that you can continue to use your glass for years, replacing worn out bodies is a given, but glass should last a lifetime, that hasn't been the case with Canon since they've changed their lens mount a few times, but Pentax has had the K-mount for years and there are over 25million lenses that have been produced for it, and guess what, with my K10D every single one of them is and IS lens.

And I have the feeling that you villageidiot, are the type that jumps ship everytime canon announces their newest gigapixel camera thinking that's what is going to get you your IQ. You must know that there are plenty of image editor plugins that make digital noise a moot point. That's why I chose my camera, it's lack of preset shooting modes encourages me to be as creative as possible.

SLC

Noise reduction software = plastic skin and plastic looking textures.

And if that was the case, I'd be lined up for a 40D. No thanks.

It's really OK if you're trying to justify your purchase to me. You don't have to though. I could care less. But making excuses as to wahy FF isn't needed and high ISO performance doesn't matter and everything else is not a good way to encourage a noob that's getting into photography.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I can't have an intelligent discussion with you if you are going to put words in my mouth, I never said high ISO performance is not important, if you read the reviews you'll find that the K10D is right in the same place as the XTi in this regard. It's ISO 1600 images are regarded to be of very high quality, and the rest of it's images are even better. I did say that full frame is not important, and you've not come up with evidence that it is infact an important aspect of DSLR photography.

I'll end it with this: To the original poster, you'll probably like the XTi if you get it, there's really nothing wrong with the camera per-se. I'm just trying to point out that there are plenty of other option that are capable of the exact same results, maybe even better depending on how well they fit your personal feel. It is my opinion that the XTi is the least of the 10 MP DSLR's simply because it's build quality is not great, it lacks any stand out feature that isn't matched or bettered in another competing camera and it's ergonomics are generally considered to be not great. That being said I know of a lot of people who love their XTi's and that is great for them. I probably sound like a Pentax Zealot but it is only because I'm so completely satisfied with my purchase that I want to get the word out that this camera is on the market.

If I were just getting into digital SLR photography, I'd be reading a lot of reviews, but I'd also acknowledge that all reviewers have an agenda. You can get some good information from them but their opinions are generally best left behind. Get out to a camera retailer and handle and shoot each of the cameras, one will stand out to you as either feeling better in your hands or easier to navigate through the controls, if you're lucky you'll find both in the same camera and that'll be the one to go with. Worry not about what others use or recommend, you'll have more fun and shoot better if you actually like your camera. Each maker has some excellent offerings, both in camera bodies and in lenses. The statement that one brands lenses are better than another's is pure myth. Each brand has it's highpoints and it's stinkers in this regard.

The main thing I've been trying to get across is that on the internet and in stores you are going to be literally bombarded by people who are going to tell you that Nikon or Canon is the only way to go. They don't care about you or your shooting, they care about Nikon and Canon and seeing more and more people buy in. They will try and dazzle you with all these stats about "it's the camera the pros use" or "Canon lenses enough said". The fact of the matter is this, you get your information where you want to get it from. I think this has been proven very well here. I'm a diehard Pentaxian, always have been and always will be. The idiot is a canonite and I don't suspect he'll change either. Both of us love our cameras and as long as you are extremely choosy about what one you pick you will too.

Just don't shortchange yourself by buying into the mentality that Canon or Nikon is the only way to go, it just simply is not true no matter how many people tell you otherwise.

SLC

Reaction score
Ive shot with all three. Pentax, Nikon and Canon and I chose Canon as the system to buy into. I really think in a few years the bodies will even out noise, mega pixil, IQ etc. and the prices will probably come down somewhat because of more competition. I chose Canon because of the large lens selection that IMO is unmatched. Thw 400D is a nice camera but the AF is a dog.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I'll end it with this: To the original poster, you'll probably like the XTi if you get it, there's really nothing wrong with the camera per-se. I'm just trying to point out that there are plenty of other option that are capable of the exact same results, maybe even better depending on how well they fit your personal feel. It is my opinion that the XTi is the least of the 10 MP DSLR's simply because it's build quality is not great, it lacks any stand out feature that isn't matched or bettered in another competing camera and it's ergonomics are generally considered to be not great. That being said I know of a lot of people who love their XTi's and that is great for them. I probably sound like a Pentax Zealot but it is only because I'm so completely satisfied with my purchase that I want to get the word out that this camera is on the market.

d40x anyone? Nikon's 10mp camera that will only AF with lenses that have AF motors built in, unlike every other camera in their line up. That's an outstanding feature that makes it much better.

Olympus with their 2.0x crop sensor?

You said it yourself. I'm not putting any words in your mouth. Compare IQ of the FF DSLR's vs the others...Larger sensor with less pixels squeezed into it = better image.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.