external 600 gig drive no longer shows up

Reaction score
I am posting this for a friend. she has 4 external firewire 600 Gig drives. She shut the system down (improperly) in a hurry one day and now one of the drives will not appear on the desktop. she's swapped cables, checked the usual. The drive spins up but will not come up on the desktop. Did it go to the trash? Is there a utility to search for it and bring it back to the desktop? The drives are Lacie 600 Gig.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Check Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility). It will show there with the partition sort of greyed out. Happens to me as well. Is the drive NTFS?

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm not sure... let's assume NTFS

she mentioned that it was greyed out. How do you get it back?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I don't really know how. Suddenly it comes back and works for a few months without any problem. Then suddenly it doesn't work. This is very true of NTFS drives. Restarting might help though I think she might have already tried that.

OP
C
Reaction score
did you try first aide?

my Mac friend (you can tell by now I'm a PC guy) tells me to run first aid and hit repair. have you ever tried that?

If your drive is greyed out and you need a file, do you just have to wait for it to show up again?

OP
C
Reaction score
Please Help! see post below-600 GB drive no longer shows up

I am posting this for a friend. she has 4 external firewire 600 Gig drives. She shut the system down (improperly) in a hurry one day and now one of the drives will not appear on the desktop. she's swapped cables, checked the usual. The drive spins up but will not come up on the desktop. The drives are external Lacie 600 Gig?

My friend tells me to go to Utilities>Disk Utilties and run First Aide and try Repair. I am not in front of the system and can try this later.

Do you guys and gals think this will find the drive and bring it back on-line? Has anyone run into this problem of losing an external drive after not shutting down properly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 Core2Duo White
Why did you start a second thread right after the other one? people are already trying to help you there.

OP
C
Reaction score
wanted to put the words Please Help! in the title but couldn't edit it. So that people would know it is help I need not just chatting about drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.