First macbook -- Question on Sleep Mode

Reaction score
Just received my first macbook yesterday. Downloaded a few applications including the chat program Adium. Whenever the macbook goes into sleep mode I get disconnected from Adium. Although this isn't a huge deal I was just wondering if there was a way to keep the macbook from going into sleep mode or even better if there is a way to not get disconnected from Adium when the Macbook enters sleep mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook
Caffiene works fine for me. It puts an icon in your menu bar, click on it to X it out and it doesn't let your machine go to sleep. When you see the Z's then your machine will sleep.

FYI - When your MacBook sleeps it looses the connection to the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 Core2Duo White
For the second part of your question, No, you can't keep Adium online when the macbook goes to sleep. That's the whole point of having a sleep mode, your computer is practically shut down. the only difference between the real shut down mode is that when you open the lid everything you had been doing before sleep is right in front of you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook
Thanks for your help.. as long as caffiene is running the machine won't sleep?

Caffeine runs continuously in the menu bar, but if you click on the icon (putting an x over the z's) it will keep the machine from sleeping. Clicking on the icon again will remove the x and will allow the machine to go into sleep mode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.