Mouse not scroling down

Reaction score
I have a wireless mouse (I think its called the mighty mouse)

I’m having problems scrolling down with the scroll wheel. Its works perfectly when scrolling up or sideways, only down is the problem. It just seems sticky.

I have tried rebooting, but there is no change.

Is there a way to clean the wheel or could it be a software problem.

Please advise.

By the way, the mouse is the only area of my Mac that I don’t like. I actually preferred the Microsoft mouse, does any one agree.

Thanks Antony

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Yeah, lots of people have the same issue. I think it's pretty stupid that they got rid of the mouse ball underneath (oh look how hi tech we are, it's a laser, my god) but use the same dumb old technology for the scroll wheel.

Here's the fix...

Push really really hard when scrolling around - up down - for a few seconds. Then hold it upside down and do it a few more times. Now get alcohol... rubbing alcohol :) ... and a cotton swab. soak the end of the swab, and spin it on the scroll ball so that it moves the scroll ball around.
That should get out the crud.

Reaction score
Yeah, lots of people have the same issue. I think it's pretty stupid that they got rid of the mouse ball underneath (oh look how hi tech we are, it's a laser, my god) but use the same dumb old technology for the scroll wheel.

Here's the fix...

Push really really hard when scrolling around - up down - for a few seconds. Then hold it upside down and do it a few more times. Now get alcohol... rubbing alcohol :) ... and a cotton swab. spin the end of the swab so that it moves the scroll ball around.
That should get out the crud.

Thanks for that!

I was having that problem, thought maybe it was just a problem with my house! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Keep the bottle and swabs handy. You'll have to do it again later (maybe tomorrow). But after the second time you should be good for a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I've read all of these "how to clean" things and nothing seems to work for my mighty mouse. I just can't get to scroll up anymore. So should I use my warranty and get it replaced or what?

I live in Australia so I'd have to do this online.

And I'm posting here as I don't want to open up another thread as there are a million here for this already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I've always been able to clean mine and get it working again, but if it ever stops working and I can't fix it, I'll definitely use my warranty.

I'd advise you to try cleaning again and if it's not fixed then by all means use the warranty, that's what it's for. Plus, Apple needs to know how faulty the MM is for consumers so they can improve their product.

It's not a good sign when so many people have bought other mice instead sticking with the MM.

Good luck and I hope you get it working. :D

Reaction score
I didn't mean to hijack this thread but creating a thread to ask this question was going to be bit too much so Ia m asking here.

Can Mighty Mouse be used as one buttoned mouse? Like can I hit both sides, left and right, at the same time but it recognises as one? Can this happen? I don't want to buy Mighty Mouse because my mum needs a simple mouse, I can't find old ones thus am planning on buying Mighty Mouse. CAn people comment on how well it is or not as well please?

I need bit of direction...the one i tested in the shop was so slow, is it becaus eit wasn't configured? I am so used to fast and precise mouse from PC.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac, standard apart from 256Mb VRAM
@ the8ark - I couldn't get mine clean using water, but isopropyl alcohol and cotton but did the trick for me. But I must say it needs to be done once a week to keep it scrolling nicely which is annoying.

@bittenapple - by default, my mac was set to have the mouse in 1 button mode and I had to set it to 2 button mode as I like right clicking, but if your finger is on the left side while right clicking it will actually do a left click. You need to lift your left finger off to do a right click. Every time I've been to an apple store, the mouses are always slow, mine is set to maximum speed and it's just about fast enough fo me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Minis, iPhone 6/5S, iMac, Mac Book Pro
My MM would move down, but not up. I posted on the forum and a reply suggested to turn the MM upside down, scroll the ball while blowing upward. This removed debris and the mouse worked perfectly. Try it.

You can adjust the speed of the mouse's reaction in system preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
Ya the mighty mouse gets dirty pretty often. I keep windex and a rag handy, and I clean it every other day or so. Not only does it take the grime off of the shell, but it fixes the scroll ball.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
To Carol247 - Thanks for the advice. If I can't get it to work I will use my warranty.

To a1laserboy - I'll try the alcohol thing with a clean cloth. Thanks for the idea. And I'll let you know how it works.

To trademark - I tried that already to no avail. But it did get the outside really clean though. It's a good idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac, standard apart from 256Mb VRAM
Oops - I meant to say with a cotton bud. I didn't mean with a cloth. If you get bits of smeg appear on the ball as you go, make sure you get rid of it cos thats the claggy stuff thats gumming up the encoders.

Good luck :)

(apologies for mis-spelling your nick - I was very hung over.....)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
Don't be afraid to press down hard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I've never used alchol but I will if my "hot breath" stops working. :D

So far that's all I've done and it continues to work fine. I just blow on it and wipe it with a cloth, turning it all around. It's always started working immediately. :D

Reaction score
WOW just wanted to thank yall for the tips.....this really works. My mouse is alive again. (for how long, i don't know!) :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
What a really helpful forum this is!

My normal (wired) mouse had stopped scrolling down and the cure is found here!! Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Yes, I love em too! And great job using "search" function :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Don't be afraid to press down hard.

But don't over-do it. My first MM I used the clean sheet of paper trick to restore scrolling and, after awhile it finally gave up on all scrolling.

Apple did me right, however. Took it to the store, showed them it's non-down-scrolling behavior and they replaced it. So I'm on my second Mighty Mouse.

I still love the little bugger, however. I call the little scroll ball a "mouse nipple." If it gives me more trouble (and so far, so good) I'll get another one, probably on Apple's dime.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.