MacBook with an External Monitor and the lid closed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
Hi there

Can I run my MacBook with the lid closed and connected to a Apple Cinema Display?

I tried to close the lid with the monitor plugged in but the MacBook seemed to go to sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16gz, 2gb RAM || 20" iMac, 2.4gz, 2gb RAM
You wake it up by either,

- Inserting a Usb
- Pressing a button on the provided Apple Remote.

I usually do the latter when connecting up to my 32" HD :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
Youc an go to www.macupdate.com and download screen spanning doctor (or something similar to that). When you install it make sure you click the clamshell mode. So now when your macbook is closed the external screen will stay on. With this program instead of the external monitor mirroring whats already on the built in one, it will extend the desktop.

Reaction score
I too am very interested in this option. I haven't found anything that works with the latest version of OS X. Also the clamshell mode sounds cool but I don't want my displays to be spanned, I just want my Cinema HD monitor to be the main display with my lid closed on the laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Closing the lid is not recommended as those macbooks generate heat and would reduce the life of the machine. Why not leave the screen up while turning down the brightness 100%? Works for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.8 w/ 8800GT / Black MacBook 2.16 C2D
I haven't had any issues with heat with the lid closed. The fan kicks in to high speed at the same times with lid open or closed.

I just close the lid with the monitor connected and click the mouse and it wakes up. No software needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.