Theft Recovery Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP - 2.2GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, GeForce 8600M GT w/ 128MB DDR3
I just got my MBP, so I have now of course become extremely paranoid about anything happening to my new favorite inanimate object.

Do any of you use theft recovery software like lojack or undercover? Perhaps more importantly, has anyone had a mac stolen and then recovered it via this type of software?

I go to a small university where the campus is generally very safe and secure and a little common sense is usually all that is needed to keep your things safe, but in a year's time I'll be going to law school in a big city and that sort of worries me.

Anyway, any and all thoughts, experiences, comments, etc. are welcome!

-B

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 MBP, 3gb ram, not enough disk space, iPod Classic, iPhone, techno-addiction
I use Lojack but can't tell you how well it works because my laptop isn't currently missing. My last one is though. No matter how safe you think you are I can tell you from personal experience you aren't as safe as you think. My MBP was stolen in the blink of an eye and the aftermath was no joke. Luckily I took security precautions to at least make it more challenging to break into my computer: my credit and identity have been left intact. The likelihood is that my hard drive was replaced and the laptop was pawned by low brow criminals rather than identity thieves. My good fortune I guess! Take the extra step though to make sure you leave as big a trail as you possibly can, no matter how secure you feel your situation is.

Reaction score
You can also try out Undercover, I currently have it installed. Here is a link to a review that I read in the process of buying it.

Review

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.