• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

That is such mean punishment!...

M

MacHeadCase

Caught this link off of Slashdot, BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux:

Sk0t, an ex-administrator of the EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker is to have his internet connection forcibly monitored by the US Government. If that wasn’t bad enough, the monitoring software is Windows based - which means he is being forced to ditch Linux - or face being barred from the internet.

For the complete article, click on the link above. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Unlike the case of Kevin Mitnick, at least this guy has an option if he wants to use a computer AND internet access.

I have no sympathy, if you do the crime then you do the time.
:)

Reaction score
Well he did video tape a movie from the theater and upload it via torrents. That does suck though, I couldn't stand only using a windows machine only after a year of my macbook!

OP
M

MacHeadCase

I have no sympathy either for the Linux guy.

Yeah but imagine if you got caught on a Mac doing something like this and you had to ditch OS X for Vista (not use OS X during your sentence) just because the monitoring app was Windoze-only. Yeesh! :p

I think I'd choose not to use a computer at all during that time. Who knows? I might pick up a new fun hobby like knitting and start making ugly oversized sweaters for everyone... ;D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I seriously would stop using computers if I had to use what I do not like.

I also am against the dood for his crime, but wow, make him use Winderz? Come on, make some monitoring software for Linux for heaven sakes!!

:D

I think I'd choose not to use a computer at all during that time. Who knows? I might pick up a new fun hobby like knitting and start making ugly oversized sweaters for everyone... ;D

Hahaha! Agreed MHC! I might do some electronic work or Jig Saw puzzles! I just to love those as a kid. Anything but being forced to run Vista! Do I have to use an Emachine also? :D

OP
M

MacHeadCase

AHAHAHAHAHA

That's about it really, dtravis! Looks like he got double punishment. :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Naw, that'd give you plenty of time to really get into your photography and have some great shots for us all when ya got back online. :D

(and definitely have time to make that cheesecake)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Naw, that'd give you plenty of time to really get into your photography and have some great shots for us all when ya got back online. :D

(and definitely have time to make that cheesecake)

There you go, I so want that Cheesecake! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I think he got off easy. Don't copyright violations have the potential to end in extremely high fines?

There's always a way around being monitored if you're smart, and I'm guess this guy is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz blackbook ,g4 cube, powerbook g4, 8gb iphone
y doesnt he get a mac....with boot camp or something?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
y doesnt he get a mac....with boot camp or something?

He would still have to be in Windows when on the internet. Only thing I wonder is if you ran XP/Vista in Parallels inside OSX and kept something that program he needs running on Windows if he could still use OSX for everything else on the net? Might work anyway! :D

To me it's the idea he is forced to use an OS he does not like that bugs me. And yes I know he committed a crime.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.