Does the PB come standard with 1x512 or 2x256 ram?

OP
M

Mr.Curlynose1

It should tell you, go customize one and it'll show up on the drop down RAM menu.

OP
M

menace3054

the 12" model and 15"comes standard with 256 built into the motherboard, not a removable chip

OP
N

nicholas

Are you sure? Cause I know for a fact that if you get the 15" with the superdrive, or the 17" powerbooks, they both come with a 512MB RAM stick that is removable in case you're hardcore and wanna put in a 1GB stick instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
You are both correct. The 12" and 15" Combo drive Powerbooks come with 256 MB built into the motherboard. The 15" Superdrive and 17" Powerbooks have removable sticks by default, which is specified on the store page.

As for the original question, you can decide whether you want one large stick of RAM, or multiple small sticks. The former, obviously costs more.

OP
M

MoltenLava

PowerBook has two DIMM slots, and the the memory is removable all they way to 0MB.

iBook has only one DIMM slot, and the built in memory is not removable.

Not sure if 512MB PowerBook comes with one DIMM or two DIMMs, I'd venture a guess to be 2 DIMM because it's substantially cheaper. Yes, it will tell you when you go into customizing the order.

OP
M

MickMAC

This is my first post, just wanted to say hi! This place is packed with info...

I have the 17 pb 17inch and is comes standard with a 512 stick.

OP
M

Mark3611

MickMAC said:
This is my first post, just wanted to say hi! This place is packed with info...

I have the 17 pb 17inch and is comes standard with a 512 stick.
Thanks mac. That Is what I needed to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
MoltenLava said:
PowerBook has two DIMM slots, and the the memory is removable all they way to 0MB.

iBook has only one DIMM slot, and the built in memory is not removable.

Not sure if 512MB PowerBook comes with one DIMM or two DIMMs, I'd venture a guess to be 2 DIMM because it's substantially cheaper. Yes, it will tell you when you go into customizing the order.

That's incorrect. Different Powerbooks have different numbers of RAM slots based on size. My 12" Powerbook only has one RAM slot, whereas 17" Powerbooks have two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
The 12" Powerbook has 256MB on the motherboard and one expansion slot, which makes a maximum of 1.25GB.
The 15" and 17" Powerbooks have no RAM on the motherboard, but 2 expansion slots, which makes a maximum of 2GB.

Check www.lowendmac.com
They have hardware information about all Macs, from the very first Macintosh to the PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5GHz.
It's a little easier to find infos there than on Apple's homepage... ;-)

OP
M

MoltenLava

Osiris22x said:
That's incorrect. Different Powerbooks have different numbers of RAM slots based on size. My 12" Powerbook only has one RAM slot, whereas 17" Powerbooks have two.

Yup, you are correct. Thanks for the correction. I didn't read the Apple web site careful enough. BTW my 15" Powerbook also has two slots.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.