Problem accessing SMB shares

kao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, NVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB
Hi,

I've had my MBP for a couple of weeks now and was happily mounting the shares from one of my XP machines fine until a day or two ago, it now says "could not connect to the server because the username or password is not correct".

I can't see anything in Keychain about this and it doesn't ask for the password, I tried connecting to another of my XP machines and it's fine, how can I make it ask me for the password to this machine? I even tried changing the IP of the problematic PC but it still doesn't ask me for the password, workgroup etc.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Find out the IP Address of the XP machine (eg.: 192.168.1.23)
Go to Finder>Go>Connect to Server
Enter smb://192.168.1.23 (IP address of your XP machine) and hit Return.

If the XP machine uses a pw, now it should ask for it. Otherwise it should connect, directly.

OP
K

kao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, NVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB
That's how i've been doing it. The PC is 192.168.1.10. I tried using smb://192.168.1.10 and cifs://192.168.1.10 but both just skip asking me for password and give the username/error straight away.

The PC doesn't even show up in Network anymore (cmd+shift+k) but another XP machine doesn (both in the same workgroup).

Reaction score
I recently ran into the username issue and found that logging out and back in solved it. But now, after recent updates on one of my WS2003 servers, my mac clients get the error code -36. In my case, I can connect with no problem when the computers are on the same subnet. But, if I go to another building, I can nolonger connect. The same occurs if I try going from our wireless side... still another subnet. It only recently started doing this, so I am thinking it is related to an update that the one server got that the others did not. I do remember a security update from apple that blew up SMB traffic, guess it is microsoft's turn to kill it now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Use the machinename\username:password credentials

XP wants a username of the XP box itself. Say the computer is called XPBOX. When prompted for login use:

XPBOX\Administrator
password

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.