Macbook and ext. monitor problems [noob issues :(

Reaction score
I recently purchased a mini dvi to dvi cable and dvi to vga adapter for my rev1 macbook. upon connecting my vga monitor, the macbook immediately detects the monitor, but the monitor refuses to respond and says 'no input signal] and then goes to sleep. what could be the problem here? thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
What external monitor do you connect it to?

Reaction score
i'm not sure if this will help in your situation or not, but i had some problems similar and this is what helped me....

i assume you've also got an external keyboard and mouse. if you are using both the macbook monitor AND the external monitor at the same time, you don't have to have the power cord plugged in (at least in my experience), but if you're using ONLY the external monitor (not both at once) then the power cord MUST be connected. then put your computer to sleep, close your macbook, wait a few seconds, and then move your mouse and it should come up and be good to go.

if your problem isn't related to that, then i'm sorry to say i have no idea what to tell you.

Reaction score
there may be a pin out problem since you are going form DVI to VGA.
You would be better off using the mini-DVI to VGA adaptor rather than going two steps.
also, go into the display area of system settings to make see if you can discover the monitor. (That can be accomplished with the monitor plugged in while using the MacBook screen.

DMW

kao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, NVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB
I have the same problem when I plug into my big TV, it says no signal detected until I change the refresh rate for the tv on the MBP from 60hz to 59hz (click 'gather windows' in the displays settings and you'll have a window for the tv)

Reaction score
it is usually the refresh rate, try lowering it to a rate that your ext. monitor can handle.

OP
B
Reaction score
hmm... but in each of the display's pref. windows, it says the refresh rate is n/a :[ why is that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.