Adiumx with OSX

Reaction score
Hello all! Just got my mac book pro today, so the first thing I did was find the number 1 mac forum ;D

There is a problem tho.. I cannot connect to either MSN Messenger Mac, nor AdiumX MSN account. I know its working because its online on my windows pc, and im browsing the web on the mac, so i cannot work it out... is there a built in firewall with osx (tiger) or something?

Many thanx.
Jonny and his new mac

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you put in your username and password for MSN into Adium it should just work. I just checked mine and it's up and working. The Built In Firewall in OSX is off by default so I doubt that is your issue. You can check System Preferences, Sharing, Firewall and see if it's on.

OP
J
Reaction score
It sais its off, with network time, ticked, but thats it =[ its definatly not working on here, cant work out why..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you have your Username and Password set right in the Adium settings? Do you need a Proxy to connect?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
try this.... go into Adium Preferences.... Accounts.... UN-check your MSN account.... then re-check it.... does that work?

I had a similar issue a while back with AIM.. and this somehow fixed the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
bearing in mind im a total mac rookie, where is adium preferences ? ;D

When Adium is the active application (The MenuBar will have the name Adium in bold on the upper left side) click "File".... then "Preferences"....

Or when Adium is the active application.... press Cmd (the Apple key)+, (comma key)

OP
J
Reaction score
lol oh, nah when i tick and re tick after a few seconds it just tells me its failed to connect agen =[

OP
J
Reaction score
LOL ahhh i fixed it, all i did was click "connect via http" and it seems to have worked, thanx anyway dudes xxx

viva le mac

OP
J
Reaction score
ahh... well at least i thought i did, its connected, i can see people online, but when i try to send a message it sais "could not send; a connectiob error occurred"

i wonder if its because of what i just ticked..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD
msn messenger mac doesnt seem to connect either.. i dont know what else it can be

I am writing this just because I have made this mistake before with MSN. Remember you have to put in your full e-mail address for MSN. So, the username has to be something like [email protected]. Most other services only have a screen name, so this can be easy to forget.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP
I am having similar problems - with a GMail account on Adium, but I am pretty sure that it is because of the proxy server.

When I arrived here and hooked up Jabber stopped working for me, so I thought I would try Adium.

Any tips on getting round the proxy?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.