No Low Battery Warning and Shutting Off Prematurely

Reaction score
Recently, my MacBook doesn't show a low battery warning when the battery power gets low and instead of going to sleep when the power is completely exhausted, it just shuts off with about 20% left. It doesn't shut down either; it just shuts off. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, is there anything I can do about it?

Reaction score
I'VE ALSO HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY MACBOOK...NO LOW BATTERY WARNING & SHUTTING OFF WHEN THERE'S STILL ABOUT 20% OF THE BATTERY CHARGE LEFT..??

IS GETTING A NEW BATTERY REALLY THE ONLY ANSWER..???????

HAVE YOU TRIED IT YET jbartos..??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 GHz CoreDuo, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD. 8GB Red Nano
I have the EXACT same problem...I will goto the apple store tomorrow and report back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
Recently, my MacBook doesn't show a low battery warning when the battery power gets low and instead of going to sleep when the power is completely exhausted, it just shuts off with about 20% left. It doesn't shut down either; it just shuts off. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, is there anything I can do about it?

this depends how long you have had your macbook. if it is fairly old, you may just need a new battery, these things happen. however if is a fairly new system (still under it's one year warrenty) i would head on over to an apple store and explain your issues to them.

PIXL said:
I'VE ALSO HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY MACBOOK...NO LOW BATTERY WARNING & SHUTTING OFF WHEN THERE'S STILL ABOUT 20% OF THE BATTERY CHARGE LEFT..??

IS GETTING A NEW BATTERY REALLY THE ONLY ANSWER..???????

HAVE YOU TRIED IT YET jbartos..??
just a little friendly advice:
on the left hand side of your keyboard, there is a button with a green light glowing. please press this, so as the green light is off before you post, it makes it much easier to read and doesn't give the impression you are shouting. thank you:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 GHz CoreDuo, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD. 8GB Red Nano
took me a while to respond as I was busy, but I went to the store and I was 3 days out of warranty so they couldn't send it away to be fixed, but the guy told me it could be software, hardware or a combination of the 2...possibly the logic board or just the battery...but my battery he said was still ahead of it's projected capacity after 1 year of use.

The one thing he could do was he i think maybe 'Reset Power Management' (I am not sure of what he said it was), but he shut down the macbook, flipped it over, took the battery out, hit the little button on the battery, then flipped over the mb and pressed and held the power button down for 10 seconds. Then flipped it back over and put the battery back in. This was all done with the mb unplugged.

I'm not sure what the problem was, but the last time i tested the battery, it gave me a warning instead of just turning off...aka like it should. Hope this helps someone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.