• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Life is so unfair

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
My freelance business is the main form of income for me and my daughter... My wife has been gone for 1 yr now from an illness, so its been tough..... Well to make life even harder, I get home yesterday and I notice water on the floor of my apartment, I then notice plaster chunks everywhere.... Well to make a long depressing story short, the apartment above ours had a major leak and water and plaster poured right on my IMAC... Its now ruined, the people above me have no renters insurance, and neither do I....
Life can be really unfair sometimes..... I now have my only way of income trashed, customers will be breathing down my neck anyday now, and no chance of replacing my computer anytime soon... I just wanted to see if writing this would help me vent... Thanks for listening...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Sorry to hear the macjuicy...

The apartment complex it self is insured... and would cover the damages... Find out what happened... if (and my guess is that this would be the case) the actual complex is liable, tell them you need the mac replaced immediately, so to not incur any lack of income. Depending on their reply to this request, you may want to contact a lawyer.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im actually looking into that.... fingers crossed

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Im actually looking into that.... fingers crossed

Good luck. I hope it all works out for you. Like was said, the owners of the Apartment should be responsible and cover your loss since it's not your fault at all, but something in the building itself.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The thing is they are saying that they left a tub water running ad it overflowed, which makes them responsible... I cant afford a lawyer so its a longshot

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
btw sorry guys im on a terrible PC laptop LOL sorry to the MAC gods

Reaction score
I believe your upstairs neighbor is responsible. I would be knocking on their door. Get a lawyer. There is no reason you should be without your computer because they were irresponsible.

If I was the one who left my tub turned on, I would want to take responsibility for what I did. It's the right thing to do.

Find a lawyer that won't take any money unless they make a recovery for you. A lawyer should want to take this case. It seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I don't the apartment complex and be found liable. Even if your neighbors don't have insurance, they're still financially responsible. If I did that to someone, I would feel responsible and pay for damages, but not everyone is that way (and I have renter's insurance to cover me). You should go to the neighbors and tell them they are responsible and need to compensate for the damages. If they don't take them to court.

In the mean time, maintaining your business is priority one, otherwise you won't have a business any more. Go out and get another (cheap) computer, ASAP. If you used Mac-only software, go pick up a low-end Mini and use a credit card. It's better to have some credit card debt than no income.

Reaction score
Did you try to disassemble, clean, dry, reassemble to recover you computer?

Reaction score
I can't tell from your avatar or profile where you're from... but you might want to try Small Claims court if your losses aren't too significant. That can be a do-it-yourself option unless your claim exceeds the limit of the court. I think those limits vary by state (maybe even by county). It may be worth a call to the local courthouse.

Reaction score
That's rough. Sorry to hear about it and hope everything works out for you.. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.