Shared iTunes library appearing then disappearing

Reaction score
Got my Macbook yesterday and I'm having a problem using my PC iTunes library as a shared library over my wireless network.

When I open iTunes on the Mac I can see the shared library appear for about 15 seconds, then it disappears.

I can use the Mac to browse a shared folder from my PC using Finder.

I have the 'share library on network and look for shared libraries ticked in iTunes preferences on both machines.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
do you have the ports for itunes sharing open in the firewall?

just a guess.

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same problem as beezer. My shared library shows up for about 10 seconds in the remote computer's iTunes, then disappears with no error or warning message. It's driving me crazy ... errrrr, crazier. Anybody have a fix?

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem with iTunes.

In iTunes (MacOS X), I can see the shared library of the NAS, I can start to play a song, but after 10-30s, it stops and the share disappears completly from iTunes. By restarting iTunes, I can see the library again, and start playing, but the same issue will occur again with 100% certainty.

To talk technical, by using tcpdump, I can see that it's iTunes which is sending a TCP RST packet to the NAS server when it happens.

See also:
http://forum.qnap.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=701&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Anyone found a solution for this problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.