Program that searches for and removes files that uninstalled progs leave behind

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
If you delete by dragging to trash and secure empty trash after, there are no such files traces like there may be in the registry in windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
witeshark said:
If you delete by dragging to trash and secure empty trash after, there are no such files traces like there may be in the registry in windows

Just a regular Empty Trash is fine, unless you're paranoid about the FBI reading your preference files... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
witeshark said:

I'm sorry but what on EARTH did that have to do with his question? He was asking if there was any program that would seek out unneeded files that uninstalled programs leave behind.

OP
T

tariq

Osiris22x said:
I'm sorry but what on EARTH did that have to do with his question? He was asking if there was any program that would seek out unneeded files that uninstalled programs leave behind.

Uh, he was merely pointing out that there is no need for left-over file seeking programs because unlike Windows, moving the folder to the trash removes 99.9% of the related files (as you probably know).

How is that not relevant to the original post?

OP
S

SogniX

There isn't?
So why - when I uninstall demo programs, then later decide to try a new version - it says "Sorry, Demo expired", when I had manually looked through all areas to find everything with the name of that demo? There's obviously something still left behind.

And I HATE when things leave their trash on my drive - I Don't care how small that trash may be!

THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME SORT OF UNINSTALLER THAT CLEANS UP THE CRAP AFTER AN APP HAS BEEN REMOVED!

Sorry, but that's my main pet peeve on Mac! (not saying that Windows is any better... but still!!!).

The best I've been able to find is Aladdin's Clean Sweep... altho it's an old version (like 3 versions old now?) that came with Norton System Works (old version too)... thinking of buying the new version of Clean Sweep ($50 I think).
http://www.aladdinsys.com/mac/springcleaning/

HTH

OP
T

tariq

Sogni said:
There isn't?
So why - when I uninstall demo programs, then later decide to try a new version - it says "Sorry, Demo expired", when I had manually looked through all areas to find everything with the name of that demo? There's obviously something still left behind.

Thats the whole point, to stop peoeple from just reinstalling the software and never having to pay the developer. It's not called a demo for nothing. If you've already tried deleting the plist, they probably put the file somewhere sneaky.

OP
S

SogniX

For same version of the demo I understand... but when NEW versions come out they should reset the demo time so - forwhatever reason the previous version didn't convince me to buy it - maybe the new one will!

For example, based on a Demo - I've submitted bug reports / feature requests that I would love to see in certain apps, but if the bug fixes or feature requests don't happen I don't want to spend the $.

And that was only an example. I'm also talking about non-demo apps and other misc stuff I want to get rid of.

Speaking of which... just purchased an upgrade for Spring Cleaning for $20! Sweet! :D
THANK YOU ALADDIN!!! heh :)
Waiting for the download to finish. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Sogni said:
The best I've been able to find is Aladdin's Clean Sweep... altho it's an old version (like 3 versions old now?) that came with Norton System Works (old version too)... thinking of buying the new version of Clean Sweep ($50 I think).
http://www.aladdinsys.com/mac/springcleaning/
HTH
Let us know what you think of the new version. I've never used Clean Sweep, but I've been thinking of getting it if it's good. I'd be interested to hear your experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
tariq said:
Uh, he was merely pointing out that there is no need for left-over file seeking programs because unlike Windows, moving the folder to the trash removes 99.9% of the related files (as you probably know).

How is that not relevant to the original post?

It's irrelevant because we all know that when you drag a program or folder to the trash, there are still files lurking around in the system like plists and whatnot, that get left behind. Hence the point of this entire thread.

Doing a "secure empty trash" has absolutely nothing to do with finding orphan files.

Once again, whiteshark baffles the mind.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I like Sogni, would like to get rid of the so called hidden files. I don't want to wipe my disk clean just to get rid of them. I look in the usual places; both preferences directories, both Libraries directories,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.