Would a 14" ibook g3 screen work in an ibook g4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
I recently bought a ibook g4 off of ebay(1.33ghz, 14"), it's one of the older ones (it has the older keyboard) and I can't find a good deal on a g4 14" screen. On ebay there are plenty of ibook g3 14" screens for sale though, would one of those work?

Also would an ibook g4 screen from a 993mhz model work in the 1.33ghz model? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
They do actually. I replaced a few G4 14" screens with G3's. New or used doesn't matter. I bought a new display for a G3 14" (screen, back panel, front pane, everything really) for $100 on eBay. If you want, I can find you his eBay name. He's really cool.
One thing you need to watch out for is the connection. I've seen both G3 and G4's use 2 different connectors. I assume its the data connector because it connects directly to the back of the LCD. There is one connection that is about an 1" and one that is wider I believe. Make sure you get an LCD screen that matches the cable already used by your computer. If you do that, you will only need to remove the top panel of the laptop. If you have to swap out that cable, you will have to disassemble the iBook.
Let me know if you need links to walkthough websites or any other info on how to do all this.
It's pretty easy to do and should only cost $100 for the screen and $10 for the tools.
Bryan

OP
Glenners
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I had a 1.2 and a 1.33 and they both had the same connection; I think they had the wider ones. I can't totally remember because I wound up replacing the cable in one of them because it was bad and it turned out to be the wrong size for the screen that was in there. When I got the new screens, it was the right size so everything turned out ok.
Just wait till you get the iBook and remove the 4 torx screws, remove the case, the heat shield and you can see what size connection the iBook has.
That's a pretty good deal, $242. I picked up one for $350 and one for $150.

Bryan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.