I'm 13 and want to start web design!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
Hey guys!

I am going to put together all my money and buy a Mac. I did try C++ for Linux, I got a little bored. When I had Windows I tried Microsoft Expression, I really like web-site design. I feel this will be my future.

I want to start designing sites, I have Dreamweaver 2004 at school, It's very good. I just can't afford £160 at the moment (it's only £160 because I could get it from the Adobe Education Store I hope!)

Is there any other good web-design ide's?

Thanks,

Nick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
you could always use iweb (which should come with your mac)

i personally like to type all the code myself. a good place to start:

http://www.websitebeginner.com

and after you have the basics down, you can go over to:

http://www.w3schools.com

i don't use programs for sites, so i can't really suggest anyothers besides dreamweaver and iweb...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" Core Duo, White, 512mb RAM
There is a program called Rapidweaver - I cant be bothered to find the link but I think its http://realmacsoftware.com. You can download the trial there, and its a lot cheaper than dreamweaver. To be honest though I also prefer to code my own layouts. I'm not really into Webdeisgn anymore but I'd like to get back into it. I used to run Windows, and code them on Editplus, but I cant find a similar application for Mac. Can anyone make any reccomendations?

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Yeah no program needed other than a plain text editor and some knowledge

OP
MBNick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
Thanks,

I have no knowledge of HTML, I will try Rapidweaver. Is there anything else that's good?

I live in the UK and Adobe sell DreamWeaver for a lot less in the Education store, I could buy it there. Will it be the full version or a Education version?

Nick.

Reaction score
There is a program called Rapidweaver - I cant be bothered to find the link but I think its http://realmacsoftware.com. You can download the trial there, and its a lot cheaper than dreamweaver. To be honest though I also prefer to code my own layouts. I'm not really into Webdeisgn anymore but I'd like to get back into it. I used to run Windows, and code them on Editplus, but I cant find a similar application for Mac. Can anyone make any reccomendations?

Textmate = THE BEST

www.macromates.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Rapidweaver and iWeb is not web design. They are ready made sites for personal use. You can't really make money on them unless you get some dumb client.

I use Dreamweaver, but even textedit is fine. Learn your basics first, that is, HTML and then learn CSS. And then go through some sort of basic sites and do reverse engineering to understand how real world web design works...

OP
MBNick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
I think I will save up and buy DreamWeaver.

Thanks guys, there is some good books for DreamWeaver.

Nick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seriously, you don't need dreamweaver. Textedit is fine. And even better is some free/cheap HTML editors which will make life a bit easier than textedit. Go dreamweaver only when you need to speed things up. Cause if you start with Dreamweaver, you will never end up learning it the proper way...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Video| 15" MacBook Pro | iPod Shuffle
Coda is one of the best editors I've used. Its pretty cheap but its worth the money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Another vote for panic.com/coda
It's an all-in-one app, but it's not cumbersome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I use Flash, but I agree that learning HTML and CSS is the best thing to do when you first start out. For HTML I use text wrangler.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" Core Duo, White, 512mb RAM
I downloaded and tried the demo of Coda earlier on. It is exactly what i've been looking for. Its got all the features that I used in Editplus on Windows, but its even better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm....will try this 'coda' since its all the rage these days :)

OP
MBNick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
Right, Couldn't I just learn HTML with Dreamweaver? After all Dreamweaver has everything you need.

I could do a page in some text editor, what about a button??? Text editors don't do that. Do they???

Does Coda have all the things dreamweaver has? I did CSS at school with Dreamweaver.

Sorry I am getting my Mac on the 28th.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course Dreamweaver has CSS and HTML editing built right into it and its quite good at that. But it also costs a lot and you tend to get a bit lazy and do things the Wizzywig way and 6 months into the game when you encounter an HTML problem you wouldn't know where to start...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Dreamweaver is slow, cumbersome, and not very mac-like.
Coda is 100% Cocoa, fast, and uses tasteful Apple Core Animations for flare.
It doesn't try to pimp any other software. It doesn't try to take over your projects. It is just very very nice.

OP
MBNick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
Wow!

This Coda must be great, I will download a trial! Also how could you insert a button with Coda?

Is HTML for Dummies a good book?

Thank you.

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHZ White MacBook w/ 1 GB of RAM
I personally wouldn't recommend Dreamweaver for learning HTML/CSS, but it comes in handy when you need to make a quick website. I prefer using Smultron and coding my websites by hand, but that's just me. Like goobimama pointed out, WYSIWYG editors do tend to make you a bit lazy IMO.

For CSS, I recommend getting a copy of CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions by Andy Budd which is a very useful reference book. For web standards, I recommend Web Standards Solutions: The Markup and Style Handbook by Dan Cederholm. Both books informed me about the capabilities of CSS as well as what a structured website should look like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.