I am thinking of getting the basic white macbook... please answer a noob's questions!

Reaction score
I would actually prefer the other 2.16Ghz white macbook but its OUT of my budget.so i wll be buying the basic macbook instead.. is the 2.16Ghz white macbook really better?

Ok i know the basic white macbook does not have a cd/dvd burner... will i be missing this fuction? ... im worried about this although i have not burnt anything in the last 6 months.....lol... the thing is how if i need to burn something in the future how will i get over the problem? ( i have two PCs in my house)

and i would love to know how well second life runs on the basic white macbook ?

THANK you!!!!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would actually prefer the other 2.16Ghz white macbook but its OUT of my budget.so i wll be buying the basic macbook instead.. is the 2.16Ghz white macbook really better?

"Better" is completely subjective, based on your needs. From the standpoint of your budget, the 2.0 model might be better. In what way are you comparing the two? In terms of performance - yes, the 2.16 will be slightly "better".

Ok i know the basic white macbook does not have a cd/dvd burner... will i be missing this fuction?

No one but you knows what your needs are.

... im worried about this although i have not burnt anything in the last 6 months.....lol... the thing is how if i need to burn something in the future how will i get over the problem? ( i have two PCs in my house)

OK, so it sounds like you don't burn discs often. In that case, sure you can always copy the needed data to another machine and burn it there.

THANK you!!!!!!

Here are the minimum requirements for Second Life (excerpted from their website):

Mac Minimum System Requirements:

* Internet Connection*: Cable or DSL
* Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.9 or better
* Computer Processor: 1 GHz G4 or better
* Computer Memory: 512MB or better
* Video/Graphics Card**:
o nVidia GeForce 2, GeForce 4mx, or better
o OR ATI Radeon 8500, 9250, or better

It doesn't specifically reference the Intel integrated graphics card that is in the MacBook range (all of them), most of the cards that are listed are discrete solutions, so that might be a limiting factor. Perhaps someone here who has a MacBook can weigh in on whether it will run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz 15.4" 2GB RAM
Im not sure about anyone else that runs second life but it has bogged down every system I have run it on. I really dont know about this program, it totally froze my machine the other day (windows machine).

I dont think you should have a problem on the 2.0GHz processor but i would suggest more memory. The 512 that is suggested on second life is no where enough. I have 1GB of memory on this machine and it cant handle it. I think at least 2 would help you out.

Reaction score

Ok i know the basic white macbook does not have a cd/dvd burner... will i be missing this fuction? ... im worried about this although i have not burnt anything in the last 6 months.....lol... the thing is how if i need to burn something in the future how will i get over the problem? ( i have two PCs in my house)

THANK you!!!!!!
the basic macbook DOES have a CD Burner

Reaction score

THANK you!!!!!!

since others are saying that second life might run a little slow i would suggest getting the basic version and upgrading the ram from 1 gb to 2 gb. that should help. goodluck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.