Basic Ram queries

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have just come basic questions regarding installation of ram on a macbook (hope Im not on the wrong tread). anyways, am trying to upgrade macbook ram from 1G to 2G. checked it out over at Crucial. Please bare with me as im a computer illiterate & this is the first time I'm doing all these by myself. =p

If I were to buy extra 1G of Ram, why do they sell it as 512MB x 2? I know because there are two (?) slots in the memory slot for the MacBook, but i dun get why they dun sell a single 1G straight away & for me to stick in it one of the slot?

Also I'm quite a pessimist, so im afraid something might go wrong. Is it as simple as sticking the Ram in & then install? I'd actually rather let someone do this for me but not gonna let Apple blow my wallet off. =D

Thanks guy in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
Ram doesnt need to be installed at all, it works right after you put it in the slot.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have just come basic questions regarding installation of ram on a macbook (hope Im not on the wrong tread). anyways, am trying to upgrade macbook ram from 1G to 2G. checked it out over at Crucial. Please bare with me as im a computer illiterate & this is the first time I'm doing all these by myself. =p

If I were to buy extra 1G of Ram, why do they sell it as 512MB x 2? I know because there are two (?) slots in the memory slot for the MacBook, but i dun get why they dun sell a single 1G straight away & for me to stick in it one of the slot?

Also I'm quite a pessimist, so im afraid something might go wrong. Is it as simple as sticking the Ram in & then install? I'd actually rather let someone do this for me but not gonna let Apple blow my wallet off. =D

Thanks guy in advance

dont get it from crucial.com get it from newegg.com if you want to get crucial ram. i purchased my 2 gb from frys.com the kingston one and i am getting it for 86 shipped, which is cheaper than crucial and it will do the same thing and has a lifetime warranty as well. ram doesnt need to be installed after u put it in, just find a video on youtube showing u how to install it. also crucial should show the 1 gb modules, if not, go to newegg they have a very easy site to use, goodluck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.