Help!

K

Kananigirl

My brother's ibook won't start up after he was playing an emulator game and then it froze and wouldn't force quit or shutdown. He then just pulled out the plug. Now, it won't start up and the screen is black. When he tries to start it there are 4 beeps and the fan goes on, but it won't boot up. Does anyone know what to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Before you get flooded with silly answers like "repair permissions!" I'll just post that 4 beeps with a blinking sleep light, means a faulty boot ROM. All you can do is take it in to the Apple store for a re-flash or replacement.

OP
K

Kananigirl

Thanks for letting me know, I'll tell him and take it in tomorrow. I think he's going to call my friend and ask what he needs to bring down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
For future reference:

1 beep = no RAM detected
2 beeps = incompatible RAM installed
3 beeps = no RAM banks passed memory test
4 beeps = Bad checksum for boot ROM
5 beeps = Bad checksum for ROM boot block

(Only AGP graphic G4s)
4 beeps = No boot image in the boot ROM
5 beeps = processor not usable

Note that it depends on what the beeps sound like. Some Macs also chime 4 times to mean the RAM has come loose. So try reseating it first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.