TV as Monitor Problems

Reaction score
I have a PowerMac G4 running OSX Tiger. I recently bought an LG Plasma TV to use as both TV and monitor. I hooked it up and it looks wonderful!!! I have run into two problems though:

1. When connected to the TV the Mac won't shut down! I went to shut down from the main apple menu (I did it a few times to make sure I wasn't accidently hitting restart) and as soon as it shuts down it starts back up. The Mac won't even go to sleep! The only way I can shut down now is to disconnect the monitor cord from the mac monitor adaptor. Then I hold the power button on the from of the Mac to shut down.

2. I can't find the perfect resolution. I think I have the correct one, but the picture is aligned to the left. There is a black bar to the right and I can't see the left of the desktop.

As a side. I know all about the burning of plasmas, so what is the longest I should be using the computer as a procaution?

Thank you for your help!!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. sounds pretty strange - don't have a clue why having it connected to the TV would prevent it from shutting down - have had several computers attached to multiple monitors - have not seen nor read anything related to this issue. Maybe can dig up something.

2. What cable are you using to connect it - VGA, DVI, HDMI?
What is the native resolution of the LG or what is the model #?
(Knowing what country you are in will help us in finding info on your particular model - they do vary in different areas - and it can be hard finding info on a European model from the US and vice versa.)
What resolutions does the monitor accept or what is the model #?

"Typically" - but verify what resolutions your TV accepts.

If connecting via DVI or HDMI - you will want to set the resolution to either 1280 x 720 if a 720p set.
If a 1080i/p set, can try 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080.
If using VGA, you will want to set the resolution to match the native resolution of the display.

However, sometimes you need to experiment at the options close to these.

The alignment will be a setting through the TV menu, not the computer unless the resolution you're sending to the TV is just not right. (Some of the lower priced HDTV's will not have this adjustment available in it's menu. Some will also make any adjustment you do at this menu item on every input rather than per input, so it usually is better to make sure you have the best resolution prior to adjusting the alignment.)

OP
L
Reaction score
Response

1. sounds pretty strange - don't have a clue why having it connected to the TV would prevent it from shutting down - have had several computers attached to multiple monitors - have not seen nor read anything related to this issue. Maybe can dig up something.

***I hope you can, because that is the biggest problem for me right now. The off-centered picture is nothing compaired to having to disconnect the TV everytime I want to turn off computer***

2. What cable are you using to connect it - VGA, DVI, HDMI?

***RGB or VGA***

What is the native resolution of the LG or what is the model #?

*** Not sure but it is a brand new LG Plasma HD, USA***

(Knowing what country you are in will help us in finding info on your particular model - they do vary in different areas - and it can be hard finding info on a European model from the US and vice versa.)
What resolutions does the monitor accept or what is the model #?

"Typically" - but verify what resolutions your TV accepts.

If using VGA, you will want to set the resolution to match the native resolution of the display.

*** I have it set at 1350 x 750 60mg (or something) and it fits prefectly minus the right alignment of the desktop***

However, sometimes you need to experiment at the options close to these.

The alignment will be a setting through the TV menu, not the computer unless the resolution you're sending to the TV is just not right. (Some of the lower priced HDTV's will not have this adjustment available in it's menu. Some will also make any adjustment you do at this menu item on every input rather than per input, so it usually is better to make sure you have the best resolution prior to adjusting the alignment.)

*** My TV doesn't have alignment capabilities.***

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
In order to give specific advice - really need to know what model # you have.

The native resolutions of the current batch of LG plasma's range all the way from a low of 852 x 480 up to the high end of 1920 x 1080.

However, they all should accept a native 720p input and then downgrade or upgrade the signal to the native resolution of the set. 720p is 1280 x 720 - this would be the first thing I would try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I am having trouble too. It wasn't so bad when I was using my TV as extended desktop but I went to plug my PowerMac into it and it's so messed up.
I tried every single resolution and it cut off the top and bottom of the desktop. (800x600 stretched to 1920x1080 and everything inbetween) I couldn't see anything above the HD icon or anything below the tips of the dock if I have it at full magnification. I do not know about side to side but it appeared dead on.
My setup is a dual 1GHz MDD PowerMac. It has OSX 10.3.x installed, 1.25GB RAM, 80GB HD. My TV is a Samsung LN-T3253H which displays at 720p. I am using the stock video card in the computer (I believe) and I am using a DVI to HDMI cable plugged straight into the back of the TV.
Unfortunately, I formatted the HD because I wanted to install 10.4.10 hoping this might help. I haven't been able to install it yet. If I can't, I will have to reinstall 10.3.9.
Can you help me any?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I figured out my problem. I had to change the display settings. When watching tv, there is a choice between 4:3, 16:9, and wide fit. It was on 16:9 and when I flipped the channels the aspect ratio was off. I switched it wide fit and everything looked fine. (Its odd because I am pretty sure I have a 16:9 tv.
So, I figured maybe something was up when I was with the aspect ration when using an HDMI source. I changed the settings and something new appeared, auto detect. The screen flashed off and corrected itself. I can see everything 100% perfectly now.
Check to see if your tv has anything like that.
Bryan

OP
L
Reaction score
I fixed the ratio!! It looks GREAT!! Now I need to figure out the worst part...

Why isn't my computer turning off when connected to the TV?

OP
L
Reaction score
New Thread for TV as Monitor...

Sorry for another post, but I wanted to be more clear on this one. I have resolved my resolution problem, so all is good there!!!

As for my bigger problem...

First, I have a PowerPC G4 running OSX Tiger. I purchased an LG Plasma HDTV for use as a monitor/TV. The LG is a 50PC5D model.

Problem: Whenever the computer is connected to the TV it will not turn off. When I shut it down, it automatically starts up again. It will not sleep either. When the computer is turned off, all I have to do is connect the monitor (via VGA cable) and the computer powers on. Is there a way to override this? The TV does not turn off itself. When you power off, the light turns red and the TV sleeps (I suppose). I figure it is reading off the power on the monitor and therefor will not turn off.

Please help! THANK YOU!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good work Bry exploring the TV settings - that's one that is almost impossible to do long distance because every manufacturers menus vary so significantly and even within a manufacturers product line. Often the difference in price between the same size units within a manufacturers line will be primarily the menu options and settings available.

For others experiencing the top &/or bottom being cut off on their TV - our Mac's have a 16:10 aspect vs. the 16:9 of all the TV's. Don't know why if you're setting it up to send a 16:9 resolution why it does this on TV's, but it sometimes does. If you have a menu option for auto detect as Bryphoto on his, this will work. The other area this may be adjusted on some TV's menus is called Overscan.

lilmatt01 - what change did you make to fix the aspect ratio in case someone else runs into the same issue? (Am still looking into the shut down problem)

As to burn in on your plasma - the plasma manufacturers have made great strides in this area and it is not nearly so significant as it was even 2-3 years ago, although it is something to be cautious about. Have not done any personal testing with plasmas as I have opted for the LCD route for the replacement of all my TV's. Here is an article with some good advice related to this issue.

OP
L
Reaction score
Good work Bry exploring the TV settings - that's one that is almost impossible to do long distance because every manufacturers menus vary so significantly and even within a manufacturers product line. Often the difference in price between the same size units within a manufacturers line will be primarily the menu options and settings available.

For others experiencing the top &/or bottom being cut off on their TV - our Mac's have a 16:10 aspect vs. the 16:9 of all the TV's. Don't know why if you're setting it up to send a 16:9 resolution why it does this on TV's, but it sometimes does. If you have a menu option for auto detect as Bryphoto on his, this will work. The other area this may be adjusted on some TV's menus is called Overscan.

lilmatt01 - what change did you make to fix the aspect ratio in case someone else runs into the same issue? (Am still looking into the shut down problem)

As to burn in on your plasma - the plasma manufacturers have made great strides in this area and it is not nearly so significant as it was even 2-3 years ago, although it is something to be cautious about. Have not done any personal testing with plasmas as I have opted for the LCD route for the replacement of all my TV's. Here is an article with some good advice related to this issue.

I found a little button hidden under the remote slip called adjust. I adjusts the resolution only in the RGB input on the TV. It gave me a choice of resolutions for the TV as a monitor.

Any ideas on the powering off problem. On another site I read that some bigger TVs give so much power even when off, that the Mac reads the power and won't turn off. Is there a way to stop this via computer settings?

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seriously? What a waste of electricity. I dont believe there is a setting for that.
Bryan

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Regarding powering off - have not found another posting in my searches with this problem.

Whoever is saying that the Mac won't turn off because it is reading the TV as still having power - I just don't believe that is the case. If this were the case, there would be questions all over the place about people not being able to shut down their systems and first questions being asked of "Did you turn the TV off?" They're just not out there. Just as a test, connected my Mac to 4 different HDTV's and have no issue with powering down while the TV is still turned on, and therefore my MBP is certainly recognizing a signal there.

Have found multiple articles and posts related to USB devices producing this issue. Think I would look to what other external devices are connected. And at the same time - it wouldn't hurt to shoot a question off to LG's support team.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you for all of your help... I still can't figure it out, but I'll get there!

I did call LG and they said they know nothing about Macs. I'm going to try and visit the Genious Bar at my local apple store...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.