Help hooking up 19 " monitor

Reaction score
I am trying to hook up a 19" monitor to my macbook . I have the cables hooked up and I can get the screen to show my desk top but I get no icons or my dock to show up and when I close my macbook the screen goes blank.

ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Right now your monitor is set up as a second display so you can slide windows from your macbook's built-in display and put them onto the external. If you want your desktop to appear on the external monitor, you have to turn on mirroring. There's a box to check somewhere in your display preferences. I'm not on my Mac right now, so I can't help you find the box to check, but I'm sure someone here can help you. If you go to your System Prefs and click on 'Displays', I know it is in one of the tabs in your Display preferences.

Edit: Just a side note. When you turn on mirroring, your MacBook's display will shrink. This is normal, it is adjusting it's size to fit your external monitor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.