New Camera

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24' Intel Mac with Ram Upgrade and 1 20" Imac with ram upgrade with a burnt logic board
Just bought the wife and I a new Rebel xti. just curious if there is anything i need to know before getting started. Cool features, basics, ect. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (black) 2.0 ghz CTD/2gb RAM. iPod Nano Gen 1 (4 GB)
Learn to edit RAW files a.s.a.p. that's the real beauty of DSLR's in my opinion. Also, don't be surprised if you find your money disappearing at the lens shop from now on.

I'm a Pentax man myself, but the XTi is a nice camera!

SLC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Learn to edit RAW files a.s.a.p. that's the real beauty of DSLR's in my opinion. Also, don't be surprised if you find your money disappearing at the lens shop from now on.

I'm a Pentax man myself, but the XTi is a nice camera!

SLC
yeah, definitely get used to editing RAW shots. I'm only getting into the swing of it now, but absolutely love it. There are things you can do with RAW shots that you simply cannot capture through jpg or tif photos. It's a massive leap in quality, and if you enjoy photography, it's well worth the time and effort to learn.

A sky that may be mostly blown out (overexposed) in a jpg stands a chance of being rescued through RAW, so you can greatly enhance the tonal range of a shot - far beyond what is achievable through other digital formats. Just be sure that you have a decent editing app that handles RAW photos.

I'd also keep the manual handy, because even once you start to get the hang of most of the features, there will often be one little trick tucked away in there to help you get the most out of each situation.

Also, I'd recommend shooting in as many locations as you can to really get a feel for the capabilities of the camera, and so you can find your style in shooting. It'll also help you handle the camera more quickly. If I'm outside, I'll just have my DSLR around my neck, so I can quickly snap anything that would make a great photo.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Before you get used to editing RAW files, learn photography (in particular exposure) and then there will be less need to edit RAW files!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Before you get used to editing RAW files, learn photography (in particular exposure) and then there will be less need to edit RAW files!

That's only partly true Del (odd name for a mac user :D), A raw file is a pure unadulterated (read unedited) file which contains everything your cameras sensor recorded and nothing it didn't. It's that last part that makes it necessary to do at least some editing to even the very best of exposures.

RAW files have no white balance applied, no color correction and no sharpening. Those three things are a must.

But lucky for us iPhoto does a halfway decent job at all three and supports both of the RAW formats my camera shoots and probably the XTi's format as well. This way one can get used to editing RAW before plunking $200 plus on the table for a real RAW program like Aperture or Lightroom.

SLC

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Aye but what i was getting at is that too many people think throwing money at a new lens/camera/software package is a substitute for learning photography and getting the shot as close to perfect as possible at the photo taking stage!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aye but what i was getting at is that too many people think throwing money at a new lens/camera/software package is a substitute for learning photography and getting the shot as close to perfect as possible at the photo taking stage!

Your dead on there. Way too many people out there think that if they spend $1000 on a camera then they are suddenly "Ansel Adams" or something.

Problem is that a lot of outsiders perpetuate this as well. I bought a K10D in February, my first DSLR. I'd been shooting 35mm SLR's until that point. Now anytime someone sees my camera and lenses etc they are asking me to photograph their daughters wedding. I can do it, but they know nothing about my skill level, they just see the camera and think I must be a professional.

SLC

Reaction score
Just bought the wife and I a new Rebel xti. just curious if there is anything i need to know before getting started. Cool features, basics, ect. thanks

For a forum like this one, devoted to Canon products, and pretty well any aspect of photography, check out Photography on the Net (POTN). I don't have the actual web address in front of me, so just Google POTN.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook

good point. I suppose the less editing there is to do, the better.

And did you 'borrow' the Mac User frame from my animated sig? It looks very similar... Since it's something I made, I'm not likely to miss noticing it ;)

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24' Intel Mac with Ram Upgrade and 1 20" Imac with ram upgrade with a burnt logic board
what would be a good software do edid RAW files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
what would be a good software do edid RAW files?

Photoshop is great for that. Though, your camera may have come with a software CD to handle RAW editing. There are also some free alternatives too, and versiontracker.com or macupdate.com would be the first places I'd look.

Also, can anyone confirm if iPhoto can edit RAW photos? I think 10.4.10 was to have added RAW support, but I haven't upgraded yet. It did specify that the Nikon D40x (my camera) was now supported, but I don't know if this means editing is possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes iPhoto can edit RAW files, and you don't even have to convert them. The second you are done making your adjustments it saves a new version from the master file as a jpeg, leaving the original RAW file intact to be recovered later if needed. It is a bit confusing because it'll still labeled as .PEF or .DNG or whatever RAW file your camera creates (mind does both) but when you look at the file size it's significantly smaller. The help section outlines working with RAW files as well.

Your tools are relatively limited with iPhoto, I just got adobe Photoshop lightroom in a press review kit, I think it costs $300 retail. This program is awesome, it works just like iPhoto or aperture in that it leaves a copy of your master file intact so that if you screw it up you can revert to the original. It also has a much greater control over editing and gives far superior results. Don't buy it if you like to do major editing, it's designed for professional photographers who just need to adjust color cast, minor lighting problems, clone out some dust spots, maybe convert to grayscale but that's it. You can't use layers and you can't cut things from one picture and integrate them into another.

SLC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
POS Dell right now. 2.8 ghz pentium 4 256mb RAM and 40GB HD
One good thing to know is your custom functions. I prefer to dedicate the * button as the AF button. That way you can lock exposure with the shutter button half pressed, recompose, press * to focus, and press the shutter down all the way. To do this:

Hit menu > the little picture of awrench and "2" >custom functions > Cn. Function 4 > 01

To reverse this, do the same as above excpt make "01" a "00".

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
has anyone ever used the software that comes with the camera? it seems a lot like iphoto in some ways. how does it compare? also, what is a good, non expensive editing software that is good to learn on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
POS Dell right now. 2.8 ghz pentium 4 256mb RAM and 40GB HD
Google search GIMP. It is a free photoshop-like thingy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.