Question about using the "APPLE" in stuff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I was wondering when people make wallpaper, logos, icons, etc etc, do they create the Mac Apple from scratch or is it OK to download just the Apple image and use that in your work??

I see so many wallpapers, icons etc that people have made and are distributing that have the Apple logo on/in them and the apple image looks to close to the actual apple image for each person to be making them from scratch for each item.

I was looking to make some Mac and Apple specific wallpapers in Photoshop but didn't want to use the Apple logo if you're not supposed to. Its just that making it from scratch looks to be a big project just to get some wallpapers made.

Was just wondering what others do or what others feelings on this are.

rberry88

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well I'm sure you should probably get permission since it is a copyrighted logo, but here's my take:

As long as it's non-profit and not used to market something, I'm sure Apple doesn't care. Having casual surfers use it for wallpaper, icons, etc is free marketing for them and fosters brand loyalty and a brand image. So they'll probably leave you alone.

Of course I'm not an Apple lawyer, I'm just a regular citizen ;)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Gotcha, thats what I was thinking but I wanted to get an idea. After all, its not like all the people that make PC wallpaper make the Windows (ack) logo from scratch.

I just didn't want to get bombarded with people telling me I don't have any skills since I can't make THE Apple, oh well.

rberry88

C

Cloudane

Only a complete butt of a company (I have my examples) would sue their own fans for promoting them. Whilst technically it's against copyright to use the Apple logo, I'm sure there's an unspoken allowance of rights for you to use it to spread fandom and hype.. that's what Apple thrive on, so they'd be silly to tell you off for it :)

Apple are not silly. They are very wise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You mean like the RIAA? ;-)

M

michaelcm

Hey wjy would they care i mean your working as a maketing slave for um hehe :D

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While we're still on this topic and everyone seems to be of the opinion that its ok to use the Apple logos for their own personal artwork I need some help.

I'm looking for a picture of the Apple Logo (color not important) that is flat (not glossy, shiny raised, beveled) that is bigger than 200x200. I found a few through Google Image Search but they are all so tiny that they get out of proportion when trying to make them bigger. If I could get one that was close to 600x600 then I could at least recreate in Photoshop.

Any help is appreciated.

**Here is a picture I made using a photo from my wife's graduation last month:

annagradonimac.jpg

rberry88

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.