file encryption! for the love of god someone help me!!

Reaction score
i decided to use the file encryption feature because i foolishly assumed the feature would actually work like i believed it would. lo and behold, this is not the case. i just started up my macbook and it asked for the password to my user account. fine. i typed it. but apparently this was the wrong password (which it wasnt). i typed it again and again but could not get into my account. a prompt came up telling me to put in the master password so i could reset my user password (a safeguard for just such situations). i typed the master password (which thank god worked) and arrived at a screen at which i was supposed to create a new user password and log in. i created a new password and as i hit enter i got this message, "You are unable to log in to the user acount '[name of it]' at this time."

so, i ask, WHAT ????

please tell me my files arent lost forever, please please please please pleaseeee!!!!!!!!

edit: i just read the 'read before posting' (har har)... if a mod could move this to the right forum that would be nice... :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
moved per request.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok so i called apple and apparently something happened to the system and i had to reinstall. a-ok. i didnt wipe the HD, i just installed a working one.

the final problem that arises: on my HD there is a "previous system" which is what i previously had on my HD and what i need to get into. the problem is i cant open it. the file is like 43gigs and ends in .sparseimage, when i try to open it i get this message: "no mountable file systems."

help plz?

M

MacHeadCase

Well I dunno: I'd say it looks like you can't use anything in there. Besides, you'd be importing corrupted data back into a brand new working install and it might mess this new one up as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
From what I hear, you can't get into a filevault image without a password. Its encrypted all over....

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks headcase... though the problem is bigger than that. it seems to disk thing is messed up altogether. blasted file vault.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.