• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

So who would you say invented "Widgets"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
This has started to annoy me.

Some people say Vista ripped "Gadgets" from OS X's "Widgets".

Others say they where both taken from Konfabulator (Now Yahoo Widgets), which came out circa 2002.

Others have said Microsoft had the "Sidebar" and "Gadgets" in-house as early as 2001 or 2000 at a push.

Personally I point to Desk Accessories on Mac's System Software (not sure which version), and started to subside around System 7 (but still work in OS 9).

What say you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

Some people say Vista ripped "Gadgets" from OS X's "Widgets".

Others say they where both taken from Konfabulator (Now Yahoo Widgets), which came out circa 2002.

Others have said Microsoft had the "Sidebar" and "Gadgets" in-house as early as 2001 or 2000 at a push.

Personally I point to Desk Accessories on Mac's System Software (not sure which version), and started to subside around System 7 (but still work in OS 9).

What say you?

There's a picture of project Longhorn (the first name for Vista) with the desktop with the sidebar in it from '00-'01.

I think it's just a misconception that some people try and state that their OS created or whatever to justify why it's developer is better and is essentially just a pointless arguement when some people will use one system and the other will continue to use theirs.

It really accomplishes nothing but bickering...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Then why is Bruce Lee dead and Chuck Norris is alive?
Riddle me this yo.

The curse. No man can survive the curse...killed him and all his sons didn't it? Chuck's never been cursed before...so he don't know what it's like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i don't think it can be said that it was invented by any one company or person in particular, all a widget is is a application that only serves one purpose. Its like asking who invented applications, no one person did, it was more of an evolution of many peoples thoughts ideas and code.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
See...some one had to start it.

Bruce Lee is better than Chuck. So by the law of relativity, Lee made them with one swift kick to the keyboard.

How about if I say that Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck invented the first Desktop Widgets? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
See...some one had to start it.

Bruce Lee is better than Chuck. So by the law of relativity, Lee made them with one swift kick to the keyboard.

You're all crazy!! Everyone knows Jack Bauer made the first widgets to disarm nuclear devices and divert bullets to only hit his unsuspecting little helpers instead of him. That's why he was hired by CTU!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
"Widget" is "Wicket's" slightly less popular half brother. He had a brief cameo in The Return of the Jedi and regrettably has lived the better portion of his professional career in the shadow of his half brother, "Wicket". In 1991 "Widget" was arrested for indecent exposure and public intoxication outside a reputable night club in Los Angeles, CA. Widget spent a gruesome 5 months in a drug rehabilitation center in upstate New York, where he continued to do voice overs for Pop-Tart commercials between 1992-1994. Much to his family and friends dismay he suffered a miserable relapse in 1995. Once again arrested, this time for drug charges, Widget was denied a walk on part in the Great Muppet Caper. Devastated and disheveled Widget was forced into a life of ewok prostitution on the streets of Milwaukee WI. In 1999 Widget, with the help of his cousin Chip, restored his tattered life and went back to rehab. In the spring of 2001, reunited, Widget and Wicket shared the stage for the first time in nearly 20 years when they did a guest appearance duet (I Still Believe) in the Broadway hit Miss Saigon. Widget now lives in Northern California where he teaches yoga and transcendental meditation and goes by the title Baba Ram Wok.
04.jpg

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You're all crazy!! Everyone knows Jack Bauer made the first widgets to disarm nuclear devices and divert bullets to only hit his unsuspecting little helpers instead of him. That's why he was hired by CTU!

That was McGuyver, dude. Bauer was in diapers when McGuyver was saving the world using toothpicks and rubber bands.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Honestly, what difference does it make? Apple and Microsoft have ripped off ideas from each other and third parties for years. They both love to toss around the term innovation, when in reality, very little was innovated in Cupertino or Redmond. Both borrow liberally and claim responsibility for many of the advances of others for the last 20 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Honestly, what difference does it make? Apple and Microsoft have ripped off ideas from each other and third parties for years. They both love to toss around the term innovation, when in reality, very little was innovated in Cupertino or Redmond. Both borrow liberally and claim responsibility for many of the advances of others for the last 20 years.

He's got a point there. They do "borrow" from one another...oh yeah and everyone else too. PATENT PATENT PATENT

Reaction score
I heard that in the first Jurassic Park movie, the Tyrannosauras Rex wasn't chasing the jeep. Chuck Norris was chasing the Tyrannosauras AND the jeep....Amazing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Did you know that Chuck Norris' tears can cure cancer? Unfortunately for cancer patients everywhere, Chuck Norris never cries.

Steven11, are you a writer, or did you paraphrase the sad life of some entertainer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Steven11, are you a writer, or did you paraphrase the sad life of some entertainer?

Sadly, its a true account of poor lil' Widget. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.