Urgent question on Student Discount!

J

Joeytpg

Guys, listen....i need a fast reply on this, PLEASE!, since i'm living to Florida (Kendall) tomorrow (Friday) night.

I'll be finally able to buy my pbook, i didn't want to order it through the online apple store because i'd have to pay for tax. and not only that i'd have to pay more money to my UPS currier to deliver it to me Here in Dominican Republic (since it's not in U.S. Land)

Anyways, i know that since i'm not a U.S. Student (nor am i attending to a U.S. university) i don't approve for the Student Discount.... but i really could use the $200 off the final price.......so here's my question:

I have a friend down there (Kendall) and i could call him and ask him to buy it for me (he IS attending to a U.S. College) so he could definitely get the discount, BUT, i'm not sure if he has to sign some documents for Apple, meaning that HIS name would appear as the Owner of the computer and NOT MY NAME, how can i do that?.....how can i get him to buy it (so i can use the $200 S.D. off) but at the same time MY NAME appears on those apple documents? i also want to purchase .MAC so i'm in the same boat with the NAME and personal Info. stuff.

ideas?....suggestion?.......has anyone tryed this before??.... i need those $200 off! :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I think you can get your friend to be the buyer and get discount

OP
J

Joeytpg

but wouldn't the computer be under his name??........how could he "sell it" to me and transfer registration and ownership??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Couldn't you just go into an Apple retail store near where your friend lives and you buy it with his student discount?? Or if you go into the retail store, have your friend buy it and then you can register it online in your name.

Don't know why that wouldn't work.

Just my 2 cents.

rberry88

OP
J

Joeytpg

rberry88 said:
Couldn't you just go into an Apple retail store near where your friend lives and you buy it with his student discount?? Or if you go into the retail store, have your friend buy it and then you can register it online in your name.

Don't know why that wouldn't work.

Just my 2 cents.

rberry88

can i do that??

Can he buy it and then register online with MY name??

then would the "owner" of the computer be ME?? (legally speaking)

if that's the case i'm going to get him buy it for me

i just wanted the computer to appear "LEGALLY" (On paper) under MY name in case i wanted to send it for repairs, or something that apple may ask for personal information of the owner

OP
M

MoltenLava

Buying a computer with student discount and the registration of the bought computer are totally unrelated, so you should be able to register it with your name.

It is DISCOURAGED to use student discount to buy Apple computers for someone else, but it is not illegal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
MoltenLava said:
Buying a computer with student discount and the registration of the bought computer are totally unrelated, so you should be able to register it with your name.

It is DISCOURAGED to use student discount to buy Apple computers for someone else, but it is not illegal.

I agree with your statement about buying stuff for other people with your student discount but I think we hit a gray area in this thread. The OP stated he is a student but because of his location he cannot utilize the student discount option, therefore having another student, that is located within the the boundaries of the program, purchase it for/with him isn't really going against the sanctions of what the student discount program is for, IMHO.

rberry88

OP
J

Joeytpg

yup, i am in fact a student, but as you said not an AMERICAN student, nor studying in America........so what i'm asking isn't really an illegal thing nor a low-moral action, because the friend i would use the students discount from doesn't even have a MAC, and he's not planning to get one either. So there goes a Student discount opportunity down the road.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
The way I look at it, is that it is a special deal open to students. Kind of like no sales tax for Oregon residents, so people from Washington ask Oregon residents to purchase something for them that way they do not have to pay tax, and I don't believe there is anything wrong with that at all! Same with anybody that works anywhere.. if they are your friend you ask them to buy whatever for you at their discount. Some of the perks knowing people that work at certain places. Students are a much bigger base, so it's a little easier to find someone who can get a deal. I do believe they are limited to a certain number of purchases though.. I think.. so they need to make it count.

OP
S

SogniX

They registered my stuff at the time of purchase,
I didn't realize it until I noticed the registration stuff missing from my Apple Care box.

OP
M

MoltenLava

Murlyn said:
The way I look at it, is that it is a special deal open to students. Kind of like no sales tax for Oregon residents, so people from Washington ask Oregon residents to purchase something for them that way they do not have to pay tax, and I don't believe there is anything wrong with that at all! Same with anybody that works anywhere.. if they are your friend you ask them to buy whatever for you at their discount. Some of the perks knowing people that work at certain places. Students are a much bigger base, so it's a little easier to find someone who can get a deal. I do believe they are limited to a certain number of purchases though.. I think.. so they need to make it count.

If you happen to travel to visit Oregon and then bought a gift, it's OK.

if you travel to Oregon for the sole purpose of saving sales tax for your purchase, it's a tax evasion.

Anyways, the student discount program is slightly different because there is no governmental body that oversee the program. It's an incentive created by Apple corporation in order to attract student buyers. While there is no court of law that prohibits you from abusing the student discount program, it's our responsibility to keep it from going through the roof. If a lot of people start abusing the student discount program, Apple may discontinue with the program, and everyone loses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Interesting about the tax.. that makes sense.. and so does your student program comment. Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.