Entourage email notification for menu bar??

Reaction score
I have searched and searched for an email notification for the menu bar. I can't believe there isn't anything out like this. They have it for Windows but why not for Entourage? What other way is there to know you have email other than opening up the program? I know you can get the pop-up type that stays on for a few seconds, but that is only good if you are sitting at the computer when you get it. I hate coming back to my computer and having to open the program all the time. It would be nice to just have an envelope show up on the menu bar when new email comes. ANYONE KNOW OF ANYTHING LIKE THIS!?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I do not know of a menubar notification (though, I too would be surprised if one doesn't exist)...

That said.. the "pop-up's" that you mentioned CAN remain on the desktop if you are away/inactive if you use Growl...

I use growl, and if I am on the computer when an email is recv'd, the pop-up is set to stay for 2.5 seconds... I have growl set to leave the pop-up on the desktop, above all windows, if I am away or inactive... it works perfectly.

Also... Mail.app DOES have a little red dot on it displaying the number of unread messages in the Dock... A lot of people use this as their notification of new mail recv'd.

**EDIT: Or..... here is what you are asking for: (CLICK!)

OP
W
Reaction score
I do use growl. I didn't know you could set it up like that. That will work great! I just wanted something that would keep me from always clicking on Entourage to check email. Thanks for the great advice!!!!!!! You just eliminated my biggest annoyance with my mac :)

OP
W
Reaction score
I just checked growl but i can't figure out how to set it up the way you instructed. I use growl with adium and there seems to be a lot of features for that, but when i select entourage from the growl menu, i can check for new mail and or junk mail. No other options present themselves. Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Honestly... I thought you asking about about Mail.app... not entourage. I apologize... you mention it multiple times but I never did "get it".

I googled for some additional info regarding Growl and Entourage... I found some info about a script, but all the links to it were dead.

OP
W
Reaction score
after multiple annoyances with entourage, i just made the switch (like 2 minutes ago) to all the mac products including mail. I just stuck with entourage because i have a windows based phone. So if you could explain to me the process with growl and mail, that would be awesome. I use growl for a few other apps, but i don't see where i can set it for while i'm away from my computer. Thanks for the replies!

Reid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Congrats! Depending on your phone... you may be able to use Missing Sync to accomplish the Mail sync.

Now...

Go to the Sys. Prefs..

Click the growl icon in the Preference Panes section (at the bottom)...

In the "General" tab... Check the box "Idle: Sticky Notification after 30 s...."

Now click the "Display Options" tab... And set-up how you want the "pop-up's" displayed, as well as the duration...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Great.. I'm glad you're all set.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.