How to make old HDD into an external HDD?

Reaction score
I just upgraded my Playstation 3's harddrive, now my old 60 Gig HDD is just sitting there, practically brand new. I was wondering if there was anyway I can make this laptop HDD into an external HDD?

Im planning to buy an MBP soon, when Leopard comes out, and I wanted to use this for Time Machine.

Also, how do I format it?

Thanks, everyone!

Reaction score
buy an external enclosure that meets the harddrive's specs.

look at newegg.com for a good selection

OP
J
Reaction score
+rep thanks a lot! Any other information? Would you have any diea on how to format the drive and wipe it clean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive
I just installed a new 250GB drive in my MacBook. I bought an external enclosure from Newegg.com. I got the IcyBox IB-250 2.5" USB enclosure for $24.99. It was so easy. I snapped in my old 80GB drive (SATA interface), tightened up 4 screws, and plugged it into a USB port. My MacBook picked it up right away. No power cord is needed, although there is a USB-to-DC adapter cord in the box. The enclosure is snug-fitting and lightweight, has two LED lights and a power switch. Can't beat it for the price!! When I get home, I'll try to post some pics for you.

Better yet, here is the newegg link.

William

OP
J
Reaction score
Well, i looked it up and have a couple of questions. A lot of 2.5 SATA laptop hdd enclosures have a USB for transfers AND power. Is it going to be enough on my MBP, power wise?

OP
J
Reaction score
I just installed a new 250GB drive in my MacBook. I bought an external enclosure from Newegg.com. I got the IcyBox IB-250 2.5" USB enclosure for $24.99. It was so easy. I snapped in my old 80GB drive (SATA interface), tightened up 4 screws, and plugged it into a USB port. My MacBook picked it up right away. No power cord is needed, although there is a USB-to-DC adapter cord in the box. The enclosure is snug-fitting and lightweight, has two LED lights and a power switch. Can't beat it for the price!! When I get home, I'll try to post some pics for you.

Better yet, here is the newegg link.

William

Thanks man! I looked it up and am definitely considering it! Cant wait for the pics. SInce it uses power from teh laptop via USB, is the MBP going to be enough? Once again, thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.