Mail.app and Gmail...Downloading 1 message at a time.

Reaction score
I have Mail.app set up with my Gmail account through POP. When I hit "Get Mail" only one message is downloaded at a time. Mail also stoped downloading any messages about halfway through importing my inbox.

I deleted the account and started over, and the results are the same. I have Mail set up to check mail every minute so I'm only getting 60 messages an hour. I haven't gotten to the point where it has stopped all together.

Any idea what is going on? This isn't a huge deal since I normally use the web interface for Gmail. But it would be nice to have messages stored locally for the rare times when I don't have internet access.

Thx-

Cat

Reaction score
Same problem here: the number of emails downloaded diminished until it stopped gettin any emails,
Mail recently resumed downloading 1 message at a time, then stopped again.
Very bad for me since I'm on costly cell phone modem in rural areas!

I use the script "~/Library/Scripts/Mail scripts/Turn on logging.scpt" to view the POP session: it looks like Mail.app just QUITs after receiving the LIST of pending messages!

Ideas for troubleshooting are very welcome, or solutions :)
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bottom-of-the-line MacBook
I have the same problem and a related problem. I will get my replies to messages in my own inbox. So I'll reply to someones email, and soon after I get an email from myself containing my reply. I think it has to do with the way gmail does that "coversations" set up but I'm not sure how to get rid of it.

Reaction score
Mail.app and Gmail STILL downloading 1 message at a time

I know this thread is years old, but with the hope that SOMEONE can help me--I've been having the same exact problem, literally for years now. I've found similar reports scattered throughout the web from 2007/2008/2009 on various forums (some of them my old pleas!), but never a solution or even an explanation of what's going on. I do NOT want to use IMAP, nor is disabling/reenabling POP a viable option. A world of thanks in advance for any help.

I have Mail.app set up with my Gmail account through POP. When I hit "Get Mail" only one message is downloaded at a time. Mail also stoped downloading any messages about halfway through importing my inbox.

I deleted the account and started over, and the results are the same. I have Mail set up to check mail every minute so I'm only getting 60 messages an hour. I haven't gotten to the point where it has stopped all together.

Any idea what is going on? This isn't a huge deal since I normally use the web interface for Gmail. But it would be nice to have messages stored locally for the rare times when I don't have internet access.

Thx-

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.