Display calibration

Reaction score
Last week while calibrating my screen ( Using an Eye 2 Calibrator) the target luminance was90 cd/m2 but I'm only achieving 58.2 cd/m2

My screen is looking dull and has a milky appearance even though my brightness level is at maximum.

The computer is a PowerBook G4, running OS X 10.3.9, 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4 Processor with 256 MB DDR SDRAM. It's 3 years old.

Has anybody got any ideas how to resolve this?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
I'd say go into system preferences>displays>color>select color LCD>then calibrate. After you select calibrate there is a screen that will let you change the gamma from 1.8 to 2.2. Change it to 2.2. That is what made my screen look better. It was washed out looking before. Other then changing the gamma, I'm not sure what else to tell you.

OP
P
Reaction score
The gamma is set to 2.2 Compared with our tower G4 with CRT monitor it's really not up to the same spec, hence our using eye 1 to get the two the same. I was wondering whether it's a problem with the graphics card or does that not affect the display colour/ contrast?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
I used to use a mac mini with a Dell crt monitor for work and the screen was brilliant. When I'd get home and use my macbook, the screen always looked faded and washed out, no matter how I tweaked it. I'm not sure if you are having an actual screen problem or if it just looks like crap. I'd say the latter. I have a powerbook g4 and It gives me the same washed out look, so maybe it's just a laptop thing?
And I would assume that the graphics card plays a part in the screen color and contrast.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.