Run a script at login?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
I'd like to run a shell script at login.

I saw this:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301446
...but I'm a bit reluctant to do this because it appears that if the script fails to execute, things could start breaking.

I could set up a Startup item, but I think this means a Terminal window will sit around until I close it.

Any suggestions?

(Out of interest, the script I want to run will simply spawn off the Facebook Cityware node software, so my Mac will run as a Cityware node. It's a Java app which runs from the command line, which is why I can't start it just like any other application.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Write an applescript that runs the a shell command. Save it as an application in ~/Applications/ (in your home folder). Then add that application to your startup items.

Reaction score
Can you check the 'hidden' option in your startup items? Does that help you with the terminal window part?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.