• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

From Canon to iMac to DVD???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 20"
Hello all

My dad has had some tapes he recorded, while on holiday, on his Canon ZR30MC Mini DV Camcorder which is in NTSC format. I told him I would try and convert them on my iMac but I'm not sure what I need to connect the camcorder to my iMac. Now the iMac I have is a 2GHz Intel Core Duo and I need to know how to get the movie files converted to PAL and then to DVD also.

If anybody can help me, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Does the camera have a firewire port? If so you will need a 4pin to 6pin firewire cable to connect the camera to the computer. Once connected you should be able to use iMovie to get the video off of the camera. I don't know if yiou can change the format of the video in iMovie. I believe you can in Final Cut Express.

Hopefully someone else will come along and clear this up.

Reaction score
Jim007

I was just loaned a Canon ZR45 recorder. I bought the firewire cable referred to by "rman" at Radio Shack -- it was about $45.

My problem is pretty basic. I hooked up the cable to my Mac and turned the camera on. It didn't show up on the monitor as a source like an Ipod would, even when I started the Canon running the tape.

Can someone tell me where I went wrong?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Place the camera in VCR mode, then start iMovie. The iMovie application should see the camera and you should be able to control the camera from with in iMovie.

OP
jim007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 20"
Thanks for the help guys... but could anybody tell me the easiest way to convert these movies from NTSC to PAL? rman said it might be possible in Final Cut Express...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2G RAM
Does the camera have a firewire port? If so you will need a 4pin to 6pin firewire cable to connect the camera to the computer. Once connected you should be able to use iMovie to get the video off of the camera. I don't know if yiou can change the format of the video in iMovie. I believe you can in Final Cut Express.

Hopefully someone else will come along and clear this up.

So you just can't do it via regular USB? My Samsung SC-D6550 Duo Cam only has USB.....and iMovie doesn't do ANYTHING when I plug it in....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
So you just can't do it via regular USB? My Samsung SC-D6550 Duo Cam only has USB.....and iMovie doesn't do ANYTHING when I plug it in....
If this is a tape based camera, then no, iMovie cannot deal with it. Look for alternative methods which have been discussed many times here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.