Open Office? Other open source office packages?

Reaction score
So I've had my macbook for about a month now and I think Im in love. I wish I had made the switch sooner.

Anyway I picked up the macbook as a personal computer, not really to drag work around with me but occasionally I'm on the road and the office calls and I've got to get into a word document or excel file. I know my best bet would be to buy a copy of office (my 30 trial will run out tomorrow) but I've been thinking about giving openoffice a whirl. Does anyone here use openoffice? Any takes on it's compatibility with word and excel files? Does Openoffice have a decent alternative to powerpoint that anyone has experience using?

Thanks all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
Neooffice is another decent option. IMO neooffice is better than open office. May be I have got more hands on neooffice.

Reaction score
So I've had my macbook for about a month now and I think Im in love. I wish I had made the switch sooner.

Anyway I picked up the macbook as a personal computer, not really to drag work around with me but occasionally I'm on the road and the office calls and I've got to get into a word document or excel file. I know my best bet would be to buy a copy of office (my 30 trial will run out tomorrow) but I've been thinking about giving openoffice a whirl. Does anyone here use openoffice? Any takes on it's compatibility with word and excel files? Does Openoffice have a decent alternative to powerpoint that anyone has experience using?

Thanks all!

I might suggest you try NeoOffice too. It is a Mac version of Open Office and doesn't require you to load X11 in order to run it. It seems very compatable with Word and Excel. Depending on just what type of docs you use. If you have a lot of docs that heavely use macros, then your probably going to want to stay with the Mac version of Word, but if your like the majority of folks and just do mostly plain docs then either NeoOffice or Open Office would do the trick just fine for you, and they are free...

Reaction score
Me three - NeoOffice! (Although I will be switching over to iWork when my trial runs out).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.